Chris Craft Lancer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chris Craft Lancer

Just wondering if anyone had much info on the Lancers. I have found a 1968 19' Lancer with a 327 and 280 volvo outdrive. She needs the engine rebuilt but has good lines.

Awesome find!!! I will have to look through my collection but I believe I have the original sales catalog for the 1969 line up... Otherwise Chris-Craft.org has a lot of resource information...
    Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
    1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

Ok so I think I'm a dead man......Picked this one up for $425. The 327 was supposedly rebuilt and just needs installed but it was a hp block out of a Chevelle so I dont know if they did it properly. I have a nice running 360 but I dont know if I can adapt it to the volvo outdrive.
      Attached Files

Comment

HP block our of a Chevelle?? Not sure if they did it properly ??
        Helmar Joe Johanesen
        1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
        1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
        Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
        2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
        http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

The story goes that the original 327 froze and cracked and this block and heads was out of a 1967 Chevelle. It has a Stealth intake and looks to have been warmed over pretty good. Has brass freeze plugs. Not sure if they did the marine head gaskets also or not.

Comment

Originally posted by 61_express, post: 26258, member: 942
            The story goes that the original 327 froze and cracked and this block and heads was out of a 1967 Chevelle. It has a Stealth intake and looks to have been warmed over pretty good. Has brass freeze plugs. Not sure if they did the marine head gaskets also or not.
            Don't get me started about the Marine head gaskets. I mean come on, how much saltwater contact do you really get on head gaskets, Really.

I guess I am missing something on the engine. To make them Marine I think its the head gaskets, soft plugs and what else ??
            If it was a Chev 350, I would say forget it. Not a fan of Chevys 350 block due to no matter what you do, Big drinking of fuel problem.
            The 327, keep her under or at 3K and its not bad for the power.
            Helmar Joe Johanesen
            1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
            1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
            Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
            2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
            http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Very true. and I dont run in saltwater over here anyway. I figure ill pull the heads off anyway just to see what I'm working with. I would almost think about a 383 stroker motor in it but we will see. If the 327 is good I'll just run that one for a while and build something a bit bigger.

Comment

From experience with our Chris Craft Cavalier, the 327Q is actually a great boat motor... Easy on gas and more than enough power for our 17 foot inboard. The lancer being a sterndrive would allow for a little more freedom in trim but by the late 60's into 70's Chris Craft had pretty much figured out the best motors to put in their boats to achieve maximum hull efficiency... They offered our boat in 70 and 71 as a "Commander" with a 350Q but the few owners I've talked to said it was a waste of gas money... I know one guy upgraded to a 400 small black but it just pushed the bow down into the waves and got "squirrely"...

To each their own, but in my opinion if the 327 is in reasonable shape you are better off keeping it than building some hot rod motor that most likely wont get you anything more do to hull limitations...

If you do pull the heads off, make sure they have tempered valve seats, the originals from that era did not and today's gas will burn the iron valve seats in a hurry...
                Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
                1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

[quote="
                  I guess I am missing something on the engine. To make them Marine I think its the head gaskets, soft plugs and what else ??.[/quote]

You want a lot more torque at the low end compared to a street engine, so a true marine engine should have a marine cam. I understand close to a truck or RV cam, much different from an street or high performance auto cam.

Comment

Well after a bit of decoding on the block it turns out I have something a bit more than I thought. It decoded as a 1966 L79 325hp 327 from a Chevelle. Ill probably tear it down and make sure the bores are good before it goes in the boat, make sure it's solid and see if the heads have hardened seats, new valve seals, etc. I'll have to see what cam is in it, don't want anything too radical. I can tell it's been gone through in the last 5-10 years but who knows how well it was done.

The hull is the exact same hull as the XK 19's so I figure she can take a bit more HP as this was a race boat hull designed by Jim Wynne. I'm hoping for a good 50-55 mph out of her but we will see.

Comment

Well the Lancer may be short lived.....The boss says she wants something bigger so this one is going to have to go. Posted it on the local craigslist and had a few calls on it already.

Comment

Bigger is good! Any thoughts as to what you're in the market for?

Comment

I found a 74 Chris Craft 25' Tournament Fisherman. Powered by twin 181 Chevy inboards 9'9" beam. She needs work too of course but I love the layout.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Holy bajeezus! That boat is HUGE! You can probably hold your mining crew in one haul!

Comment

Working...
                            X