Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '63 Johnson 3 HP Question

I just know this is the place to ask...

My neighbor has this motor for sale at a ridiculously low price. It looks great, and he says it runs good too. But in looking at it...it dawned on me that I did not see a shift lever on it, but I cannot find where something would be missing. Does anyone have an idea as to how you shifted these oldies?
    There is the sliding throttle control on the front of the motor and the gas tank is part of the engine cowling. The tiller handle is just that...nothing more than a handle. The mount has only the 1 mount hold-down screw.

I'm just a little confused as to how you make it go in rev.

Thanks, Terry B.
    Terry Baker - Oak Harbor

1959 Skagit 20 Offshore

Most likely there is no reverse in these low hp engines,that's my guess.
    1958 Skagit 20 Offshore hardtop cruiser "Kanigo"

Comment

That's my guess too. I know the current 2hp and 3.5hp on the market are that way also. To move in reverse, you spin the motor around 360 degrees.
      Steve Kiesel
      1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

I have a 1997 3 hp. Yamaha and I have to turn it 180 deg. to go in reverse.
        Greg James

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_Kiesel, post: 2623
          That's my guess too. I know the current 2hp and 3.5hp on the market are that way also. To move in reverse, you spin the motor around 360 degrees.
          Close. :eek: LOL
          To move in reverse, you spin the motor around 180 degrees.

Comment

Dave, Yes, no kidding. I sometimes use it on my 8ft. Olympic lake fishin boat. I know it sounds funny but it is made to swivel a full 360 deg.. There really isn't a shift handle on it.
            Greg James

Comment

Originally posted by GregJ, post: 2630
              Dave, Yes, no kidding. I sometimes use it on my 8ft. Olympic lake fishin boat. I know it sounds funny but it is made to swivel a full 360 deg.. There really isn't a shift handle on it.
              I know they spin around 360 degrees. IF you do spin it 360 degees you continue on in the same direction, not the reverse direction. Thats what I found funny.

Comment

Working...
              X