A winter boating game?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A winter boating game?

Hey all......I taught a class on boating destinations, DNR and Washington state marine park maps.

I have photos from as far north and Desolation Sound Canada, and as far south as Hood Canal.

I'll post a photo, you guess where it is, then I will provide information (moorage and so on) and a map on how to get there.

Sound like fun? What else are you doing this winter?

Here is the first photo......enjoy..........Steve

Give up? That's Prevost Harbor at Stuart Island State Park. They have a large dock, several buoys, and a bunch of camp sites and trails. Ready for your next island?
    Attached Files

Hey Steve.
    This is going to be interesting for me as I know Nothing. I made the trip from Mystery Bay next to Martys Shop, up to LaConnor around Whidby and back to Mystery bay and that is about it.
    So, like I said, this is going to be interesting.
    This should also be something were we all can choose to create events at some of these places too.

Just wait till Tim Jones and Marty come on line...Bet they know a lot of those places. Ingvar has been around too
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

[ATTACH]15115[/ATTACH] Hey Steve, Well might be frustrating for a lot of people. Perhaps after a period where nobody guesses the right answer, you add another photo from a different angle? I would have guessed this one correctly. If you'd have swung your camera a few degrees left, you'd have this photo. This is from the 1958 Seattle Times story on Skagits and family cruising the Northwest. I would like to recreate this picture next Summer. Anyone interested? Bruce? Marty? Helmer? Steve?
      Yes, that's the Saratogan in the background.....and a Skagit 20 tied to her stern.
      Attached Files
      Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Tim, I would be interested as well with my son coming along in my 1959 Skagit Express. Chuck
        1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
        1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Here is the next island......this is an easy one. Hint.....the moorage and camping are free!

Good to hear from you guys. This will help you plan your summer in the SanJuans.

Most of the DNR maps are on line, like this one. It shows all the State and DNR parks.
          Attached Files

Comment

Jones Island ?

Comment

Good guess, try again. Try farther south east?

Hey Tim, I know where that photo was taken......on the same trip this photo was taken.

I'll let someone else have a guess at it...........Steve
              Attached Files

Comment

Wasp Island

Comment

Try closer to Anacortes. Here is another photo from land.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Eagle Harbor, Cypress Island

Comment

Yes! Tim McSkagit wins the prize, this map from DNR.

Cypress has several parks, connected by trails, and two lakes that are stocked by DNR.
                      Last time I was there, moorage was free, and camping was free.
                      The bay is large and shallow toward the back. I landed my Skagit there no problem.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by McSkagit Tim Jones, post: 26631, member: 28
                        [ATTACH]15115[/ATTACH] Hey Steve, Well might be frustrating for a lot of people. Perhaps after a period where nobody guesses the right answer, you add another photo from a different angle? I would have guessed this one correctly. If you'd have swung the camera a few degrees left, you'd have this photo. This is from the 1958 Seattle Times story on Skagits and family cruising the Northwest. I would like to recreate this picture next Summer. Anyone interested? Bruce? Marty? Helmer? Steve?
                        Yes, that's the Saratogan in the background.....
                        I'd sure like to do the trip and photoshoot, Tim. It would need to be late in summer, as most of the work on the transom will have to be done when it warms up.
                        bruceb

Comment

Originally posted by bruceb, post: 26643, member: 1409
                          I'd sure like to do the trip and photoshoot, Tim. It would need to be late in summer, as most of the work on the transom will have to be done when it warms up.
                          bruceb
                          Roger that, Bruce! And if you need any help on that transom, don't hesitate to ask....

Comment

Maybe a week or two after the LaConner Boat and Car Show ? I should have the Skagit ready about the end of Spring (June ) Or just maybe in May. Going to start as soon as it warms up a little in the shelter with some heat. Chuck

Comment

Well..Now I am thinking I need to work on my Skagit 20 offshore. Lots of clean up and engine tidy work but she was built for that area so why not
                              The first time I tried for the San Juans, I broke down. Never made it after that.
                              Helmar Joe Johanesen
                              1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                              1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                              Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                              2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                              http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Working...
                              X