Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sammamish Slough Exhibition April 5th 2014

Hey Raceboat fans,
    Recently heard some details on an upcoming tribute to the past Boat races once held between Kenmore and Sammamish on the famed Slough.
    This will be an "Exhibition" put on by members of the Seattle Outboard Association and will feature some Stock Outboard Hydroplanes and Classic Runabouts as well as some laps around a course for the "J" Boats which feature kids from 6-15 years of age and use Johnson or mercury 15 hp outboards on racing lower units.
    They do NOT plan on going all the way to the upper lake and the J boats will be running near the park at Kenmore so should be visible from shoreline.
    A local artist has helped promote the deal and got help from Chip Hanauer at a recent public meeting in Kenmore who spoke to the standing-room only crowd and must have softened up the local Chamber of Commerce.
    Would be great to see some real races in the future which is the ultimate goal of the local racers.
    Anybody know more on this or was actually there at the meeting in Kenmore?
    TimMattson
    unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
    15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
    SeaRay 175BR
    Hi-Laker lapline
    14` Trailorboat

Hey Tim, good to see you stick you head up and look this way. Hope you have been busy too. Good info and I think Ingvar is close relationship to Classic Outboard folks, not sure about the Seattle Outboard Association.
    He stays pretty much in tune with what is going on and I can ask him too.
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Hmmmm, interesting. A six year old in a 40 mph hydro, now that sounds like fun! I shot some movies (16mm) of the slough races in 1972 or 73. I'll try to get that transferred to digital before that date. Maybe they can use it......

I haven't seen that footage in nearly 40 years. Hopefully I turned the camera around and shot some pics of the then 26 year old McSkagit......

Tim
      Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

I don't have any movies, but here are some stills. I'm pretty sure they're from 1969

Comment

One more.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan D, post: 26721, member: 682
            One more.
            I remember Marty having one of these that was stored at the boatshop, Forever it seems.

It would sure be nice to see this happen and some of us get involved.
            I would MORE than love to get involved in this but hey, too old and broken down and not able to take the beatings like I used too
            Helmar Joe Johanesen
            1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
            1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
            Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
            2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
            http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Working...
            X