WA New Ferries Being Built

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WA New Ferries Being Built

Two new one's being built for the state.

The video captures construction of Washington's newest Olympic Class ferry, 144-car Tokitae, from the start of construction through summer 2013. Vigor Industrial began construction of the Tokitae in March 2012 at the company's Seattle shipyard. Vigor fabricated major modules and assembled them, along with the vessel ends made by Jesse Engineering in Tacoma, into a complete hull. The shipyard hit a major milestone in March 2013, when they moved the superstructure of the Tokitae onto the hull while both structures were in floating drydocks. The 1100-ton superstructure was fabricated at Nichols Brothers Boat Builders on Whidbey Island. The shipyard hit another milestone in July, when it floated the vessel out of drydock to finish final outfitting pier side. The Tokitae is scheduled for delivery to Washington State Ferries in early 2014

[media=youtube]-pcTn6WT71k[/media]

[media=youtube]BE5q77x6IZI[/media]
    Attached Files
    1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
    1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Cool videos. Thanks for posting Chuck.
    Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Originally posted by McSkagit Tim Jones, post: 26782, member: 28
      Cool videos. Thanks for posting Chuck.
      Tim, I guess the rails were not quite right and that put off the timing for about 6 hours . That sure would be bad if it did not line up right as it has to go onto the hull next in Seattle. I guess a person in Edmonds saw it and wonder if it was a "Army " ferry being it had all of the primer. Another person wonder what route it was on ??

Comment

It looked strange on the barge. Big job for Nichols Bros. Wow, moving something that large onto a barge and then off again. Glad it came off without a hitch.
        Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Tim, A few more pictures.
          Attached Files

Comment

Here's a picture taken today. Left to right: Samish superstructure (on barge), Samish hull (in shed), Tokitae (in water).

Comment

Working...
            X