Skagit Saratogan Hull 2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skagit Saratogan Hull 2

Yes, the cat it out of the bag. I bought Saratogan hull two from Tom & Toni Fest on 4 January. Something I had to do I guess. Right now, prior to moving the boat to South Bend, I'm trying to get the State DOL to change the registration number. Reason: The reg number has a dollar ($) sign in it. I asked the gal when I transferred the title if the $ sign was a typo? She checked and said no. Something ironic about a Saratogan with a $ sign in the reg number! LOL
    Here's some pics of the old girl taken in 2009.

Tim aka McSkagit

[ATTACH]15264[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]15265[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]15266[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]15267[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]15268[/ATTACH] Y LOL![ATTACH]15257[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]15257[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]15257[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]15257[/ATTACH][ATTACH]15264[/ATTACH]
    Attached Files
    Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Wow! You are certifiable, Tim!

How many of these did they lay up? 3? Pretty special. So when can we expect to see her on the water?
    John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
    Past Affairs:
    '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

This is two of three and Sweet Zoanna is three of three. Hull one was red and white, sold in California and is still missing. Art Nordvedt (Uniflite) claimed he built five for Alaska State Fisheries, but I'm pretty sure they had a different superstructure. Howard Roberts (designer/builder for Skagit) built a number as gill-netters after Skagit closed. Number unknown.

As far as the classic steamlined superstructure Saratogans go ( as far as I know) only three.

How long to get it in the water?
      Hull three took 22 years. Still finishing the interior. I tell people that now that I know how to do it I can knock out-another Saratogan in ten years easy!

cheers,
      Tim aka McSkagit

Comment

What a find Tim! Worth the price juat for the hard top? Is that factory?.....Steve

Comment

Originally posted by STOREBRO36, post: 26953, member: 126
          What a find Tim! Worth the price juat for the hard top? Is that factory?.....Steve
          Steve,
          The Skagit 31 brochure lists a hardtop. I have factory pictures of hull 2 with the soft top. I'm sure this hardtop was built by Howard Roberts after Skagit closed its doors (1961).
          I thought about using it as a detachable hardtop. Installed in the Winter, off in the summer. Will see?
          Tim

Comment

Amazing what you're doing for the classic Skagit/boat community. Looking forward to seeing them in person someday.

Comment

Originally posted by McSkagit Tim Jones, post: 26954, member: 28
              Steve,
              The Skagit 31 brochure lists a hardtop. I have factory pictures of hull 2 with the soft top. I'm sure this hardtop was built by Howard Roberts after Skagit closed its doors (1961).
              I thought about using it as a detachable hardtop. Installed in the Winter, off in the summer. Will see?
              Tim
              Fantastic, Tim ! Thanks for saving a true classic...again !
              I saw it in person and took pics in 2011 and don't see the hardtop on it. Guess he must have had it stored inside.
              Will you be restoring the window openings (presently glassed over) and using the factory window frames (also fiberglass) that he'd saved ?
              One of the amazing thing about the Saratogan is the number of molds for everything from the hull to the awesome helm housing and the window frames, interior and exterior.
              Some folks have considered (fantasized ?) restoring this great piece of fiberglass boat building. It's wonderful to see it going to the foremost expert on Saratogans ........
              It'll be exciting to see the power/drivetrain used in this one-diesels again ?
              thanks Tim-
              bruceb

Comment

Thanks Bruce and Kelly. Right now just working on getting it here and inventorying what's there and what isn't. This boat has a two level cockpit. The aft part being about 4 inches deeper.

The propulsion is the big and most expensive question. A lot of things hinge around the engines. The Volvo 41 series diesels (as in Sweet Zoanna) aren't made anymore. I'm going to put out some feelers for a NOS pair of 41's or even 31's (the 4 cylinder version) or a good set of take-outs.

Since I photographed the boat in 2009, the left curved windshield has broken. I've been cruising the internet looking for the glass. There are three different windshields for the 57 Chrysler. 24" high for the hardtops and sedans, 28" high for the wagons and a special windshield for the convertibles. The Saratogan takes the 24" high glass, no shading or tinting.

This boat has been going down hill, so I had to do it.....

Cheers,

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by bruceb, post: 26956, member: 1409
                  Fantastic, Tim ! Thanks for saving a true classic...again !
                  I saw it in person and took pics in 2011 and don't see the hardtop on it. Guess he must have had it stored inside.
                  Will you be restoring the window openings (presently glassed over) and using the factory window frames (also fiberglass) that he'd saved ?
                  One of the amazing thing about the Saratogan is the number of molds for everything from the hull to the awesome helm housing and the window frames, interior and exterior.
                  Some folks have considered (fantasized ?) restoring this great piece of fiberglass boat building. It's wonderful to see it going to the foremost expert on Saratogans ........
                  It'll be exciting to see the power/drivetrain used in this one-diesels again ?
                  thanks Tim-
                  bruceb
                  The hardtop was probably hiding under the tarp.

Comment

Originally posted by McSkagit Tim Jones, post: 26958, member: 28
                    The hardtop was probably hiding under the tarp.
                    greetings tim how long was it in longview and where did they get it mikepingatore in seattle

Comment

Originally posted by michael pingatore, post: 26966, member: 2342
                      greetings tim how long was it in longview and where did they get it mikepingatore in seattle
                      Hello Michael,
                      I don't know the entire history of this boat. Was probably originally sold by Bob Smith Sporting Goods in Portland. Spent most of its life on the Columbia (fresh water). Last registered in 1993. I know more, but want to keep some of the details under wraps at this time......

Cheers,
                      Tim

Comment

Just got a call from a guy who knows the son of the original owner of Saratogan hull 2. Reportedly has full history, original bill of sale, family photos, etc. Also, has a lead on (has seen) hull #1. It's sitting in a barn in California! Whoa!

Comment

Tim, for your replacement glass. Talk to Perkins Glass in Seattle. I know several of the ACBS folks go there for their replacement needs and the Perkins family are big time boat people so they are always willing to help out the classic folks... My father took in a cardboard template of the glass pane he needed for his runabout and they were able to custom fabricate an exact match!
                          Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
                          1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by McSkagit Tim Jones, post: 26971, member: 28
                            Just got a call from a guy who knows the son of the original owner of Saratogan hull 2. Reportedly has full history, original bill of sale, family photos, etc. Also, has a lead on (has seen) hull #1. It's sitting in a barn in California! Whoa!
                            That is exciting Tim, but what are you going to do with three of them?

Comment

Originally posted by Bflaherty, post: 26972, member: 40
                              Tim, for your replacement glass. Talk to Perkins Glass in Seattle. I know several of the ACBS folks go there for their replacement needs and the Perkins family are big time boat people so they are always willing to help out the classic folks... My father took in a cardboard template of the glass pane he needed for his runabout and they were able to custom fabricate an exact match!
                              greetings do they do plastic windows...mikepingatore in seattle

Comment

Working...
                              X