Skagit Saratogan Hull 2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stan D, post: 26973, member: 682
    That is exciting Tim, but what are you going to do with three of them?
    Now that, Stan, is THE QUESTION of the 21st Century! You know I've been looking for that boat for 25 years.......and then some.....
    Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Originally posted by Bflaherty, post: 26972, member: 40
      Tim, for your replacement glass. Talk to Perkins Glass in Seattle. I know several of the ACBS folks go there for their replacement needs and the Perkins family are big time boat people so they are always willing to help out the classic folks... My father took in a cardboard template of the glass pane he needed for his runabout and they were able to custom fabricate an exact match!
      Brian,
      I'll give them a call. The curved bridge glass is from a 57 Chrysler, cut in two and radius the inboard corners. The glass is available, but will probably need an expert to cut it, radius the corners and polish the edges. I learned on installing the glass in Sweet Zoanna (my daughter Zoanna and I installed it) that it really helps to have the edges of the glass polished.

Thanks for the tip......

Tim

Comment

Hey Tim, you may have to start your own line of "retro boats"?

I had the idea years ago, when I got my skagit 17 express.

Change the hull to a new deep V style, leave the rest 1950's vintage.

I loved my little Skagit, but any chop would beat the crap out me.
        Have fun, spring is just a few months away.............Steve
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by STOREBRO36, post: 26982, member: 126
          Hey Tim, you may have to start your own line of "retro boats"?

I had the idea years ago, when I got my skagit 17 express.

Change the hull to a new deep V style, leave the rest 1950's vintage.

I loved my little Skagit, but any chop would beat the crap out me.
          Have fun, spring is just a few months away.............Steve
          Steve, yeah, I've had that idea, too. Just sooo labor intensive. There was a guy down in Florida restoring Bertram 31's. I'm guessing the 2008 recession knocked him out of business? The Bertrams were costing $200k to $250k, restored with new interiors and power.

So far, the existence of Saratogan hull 1 is a third (or is it 4th) hand story. The person with the first hand information is the son of hull 2's original owner. He is reportedly moving from Oregon to California at the moment, so won't be available for comment for a couple weeks.
          I'll believe it when I see pictures of the old girl. But so far, this is the only lead I've had in 25 years of searching. I have my fingers crossed!

My interest and concern is to insure these beautiful boats get saved and not recycled.

Tim

Comment

With 3 of them in running order, you could have your own Saratogan charter fleet...
            John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
            Past Affairs:
            '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

Originally posted by TheBronze, post: 26987, member: 339
              With 3 of them in running order, you could have your own Saratogan charter fleet...
              John,
              yeah that idea has crossed my mind too. The cost to restore these boats is high and today, the cost of the component parts and equipment is thee times thereabouts what I paid for Sweet Zoannas'. I have been collecting bits and pieces, but the big ticket items (engines and gears) is out of my range, being that I'm semi retired. The time consuming part is having to make a lot of the parts..
              I'm going back to work.....the only way I can pull off another restoration.....

Would be quite a sight to see all three of them on the water together again!

Comment

Steve, I have a Skagit 17 Express and several years ago I had it foamed under the floor. That improved the ride a lot. I really don't have the problem with going through chop like I used to. Before it was foamed I would have to slow way down in just about any chop. Now along with the foam and a little weight in the bow ( 50 lb. get me home engine) I really don't have much problem going through chop at w.o.t. about 30mph.
                Greg James

Comment

Comment

Tim, I don't understand. What do you mean?
                    Greg James

Comment

Originally posted by GregJ, post: 26991, member: 58
                      Tim, I don't understand. What do you mean?
                      It's a term, an expression, not applicable here, please disregard, my apology.....

Comment

Originally posted by McSkagit Tim Jones, post: 26988, member: 28
                        John,
                        yeah that idea has crossed my mind too. The cost to restore these boats is high and today, the cost of the component parts and equipment is thee times thereabouts what I paid for Sweet Zoannas'. I have been collecting bits and pieces, but the big ticket items (engines and gears) is out of my range, being that I'm semi retired. The time consuming part is having to make a lot of the parts..
                        I'm going back to work.....the only way I can pull off another restoration.....

Would be quite a sight to see all three of them on the water together again!
                        It makes me wonder if they were ever on the water together before. Did Skagit possess them all at the same time or did they make one and deliver it before finishing the next?

Comment

Tim, O.K.
                          Greg James

Comment

Wow if you confirm hull No. 1 in California. Road Trip!

Your making it fun for everyone.

Allan
                            1958 Dorsett Farallon
                            1959 Bellboy Ballerina

Comment

Ok Tim, here is a real crazy idea:

Take your boat to the boat show, and sell rich boat freaks on the idea, of having you restore the 2 hulls, at twice your normal fee, for them? Then after.....with the extra cash, you start up Tim's retro boats inc? Remember all of the attention Ida's boat got at the boat show?

Comment

Originally posted by STOREBRO36, post: 26997, member: 126
                                Ok Tim, here is a real crazy idea:

Take your boat to the boat show, and sell rich boat freaks on the idea, of having you restore the 2 hulls, at twice your normal fee, for them? Then after.....with the extra cash, you start up Tim's retro boats inc? Remember all of the attention Ida's boat got at the boat show?
                                Steve,
                                Marty suggested I look for a person to underwrite the restoration ($$). Might be the way to do it.
                                I'd likely have to hire two or three fairly talented people to knock it out in six - eight months..

Comment

Working...
                                X