The Drone's Are A Coming !

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GregJ, post: 27082, member: 58
    Tim, Aiming the camera is a big concern. It would be great if you could find that sling. Maybe we have found a new thing to screw around with. That's the great thing about being retired. A guy can screw around a lot more.
    HA!
    Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

This is Joel's ( Golden State Glassic Boat Club ) nephew that did this with his new toy of his Brothers backyard railroad.

[media=youtube]rvufPmk27Q8[/media]
      1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
      1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Wow! Too cool

Comment

First, I want one! Especially after watching that video. Second, if somebody wants to buy one, I'll gladly share the fun and provide my GoPro (with me there) for the effort. Finally, the kite idea is really cool. I have a two-line stunt kite and am a pretty good kite pilot and am now very intrigued and will figure this out. I have a float for the camera already, so now on to figure out the proper engineering. Oh and of course, I'm willing to passenger in the Saratogan and video it this way after I master the process. =)

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly, post: 27088, member: 2323
            First, I want one! Especially after watching that video. Second, if somebody wants to buy one, I'll gladly share the fun and provide my GoPro (with me there) for the effort. Finally, the kite idea is really cool. I have a two-line stunt kite and am a pretty good kite pilot and am now very intrigued and will figure this out. I have a float for the camera already, so now on to figure out the proper engineering. Oh and of course, I'm willing to passenger in the Saratogan and video it this way after I master the process. =)
            I like the idea. I'll try to find the story on the camera sling although the GoPro has such a wide angle lens that exact camera pointing isn't as critical as other cameras. I'm tending to think that very stable single line kites are the way to go, at least initially. Are the GoPros water resistant or do they need a water tight enclosure?

I'll look forward to this....

Tim

Comment

Tim, The single line kite would be a whole lot easier to launch for sure.
              Greg James

Comment

Haven't found the exact video about the camera sling for kites, but there are quite a few videos there on the subject. Here's one:
                [media=youtube]hWpRYIQBNJQ[/media]

Comment

Tim, They do have a waterproof cast that you can put it in.Chuck
                  1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
                  1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Originally posted by Skagitguy, post: 27095, member: 6
                    Tim, They do have a waterproof cast that you can put it in.Chuck
                    Chuck,
                    That's what I thought...

Comment

I have a waterproof case that I use when I paddleboard. The float part of the case (camera case life jacket) sticks to the back door of the case and is similar to the old foam key floats that you'd use for your boat keys.
                      My concern would be the weight of the camera with the case. I need to figure out the thrust to weight ratio. I think it will come down to the overall size of the kite's wingspan to generate enough lift to compensate for the weight of the camera.
                      I can get nerdy with this stuff..

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly, post: 27105, member: 2323
                        I have a waterproof case that I use when I paddleboard. The float part of the case (camera case life jacket) sticks to the back door of the case and is similar to the old foam key floats that you'd use for your boat keys.
                        My concern would be the weight of the camera with the case. I need to figure out the thrust to weight ratio. I think it will come down to the overall size of the kite's wingspan to generate enough lift to compensate for the weight of the camera.
                        I can get nerdy with this stuff..
                        One of the benefits of flying a kite off a power boat is the ability to adjust the apparent wind to whatever is needed. What do you figure a GoPro with a waterproof case weighs?
                        I'll do some tests to see what the various kites I have can lift at various speeds..

Tim

Comment

One of my stunt kites can lift me off the ground or at least it could years ago when I weighed a lot less. It almost flew away with my daughter when she was little. She let go and it crashed.
                          Greg James

Comment

You guys are right...there's plenty of power (of course) and plenty of lift. I often over complicate the first few ideas until it starts to make sense.
                            I weighed the GoPro with the case and float...5.8 oz, the camera by itself...2.6
                            Either way, light enough to do the job.
                            I did find a few different how-to's on youtube. I'll see what I can do.

Comment

Working...
                            X