Fever is getting to me.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fever is getting to me.

All this sunshine and no boating is giving me cabin fever. I need to get out on the water in the worst way. It is just too cold for me. In Snohomish the lakes have ice on them. When the temps. go up another 40 degrees I'm heading out for a short little day cruise. Not sure where I want to go, there are so many great locations. Trouble is I just don't care much for being around homes and traffic noise.

The areas that come to mind are Sloughs of Snohomish River, Baker Lake, and Skagit Bay.

Anyone else have any ideas on locations that can make this fever break?

Lowell
    1956 Enduracraft Monterey
    1976 Cal 2-27 Sailboat
    1986 Mariner XL Seakayak

Boy, getting out in the water in NOT freezing weather sounds good.
    I just posted on another thread, last night I had 12" of snow, now its 8" with 1/4" of ice over it.
    I need to go out as my Uniflite is setting outside in this junk and, didn't even make it to the water last year !!!.....
    I am down here were I can see Fern Ridge lake which is just West of Eugene. Last year, it was 2.5 feet low, No boating, No Sailboats which is also down here with me.

I see some lakes down around the coast that I might try soon. Looks like I got to Florence and turn left for a little while and run into several lakes. Down farther is 10 mile lake too.

Anyway, Yes, I am ready for the water and now remember why I did not go out alone. No kicker, no one to go out with in case I have a problem. I have the kicker bracket and will see if I can get the boat into the barn and get that put on real soon...I do have a 15hp kicker to hang on the back just in case.

Yeah, I know, blab blab blab lets go boating !!!
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

I'm lookin at the water right now, and wish I was on it. This email from Holiday market my help your decision.....8-1 and 8-2 are Skagit bay...........Steve

Salmon in the Salt-
      Marine Areas 7, 8-1 & 8-2 are open for salmon through April 30th with a daily limit of 2 hatchery Chinook with a minimum size of 22 inches. Area 6 remains open through April 10th.
      Marine Area 9 (Admiralty Inlet) reopened on January 16th and runs through April 15th with the same 22 inch minimum length and a limit of 2 hatchery fish.
      Attached Files

Comment

I've been wanting to get out and catch a salmon. Just too cold and oh yeah, don't have much fuel. Soon as the temps get back into the 40's I'm heading out........
        Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Yea, I have that fever too, but mine is not to get out on the water. Mine is getting the weather to improve so i can get working on the Skagit "Chippewa" i'am trying to restored so i can get out later. I 'am still determined to have it done sometime in May. All i need to do is fill holes ,paint,and mount the new seats, rug it inside and out and some other things...that's all. My fever has been so bad i have change the color combo's three times this winter ,but now i finally have it down to the colors it will end up being. Sold the new seats today that i had ordered back in Nov and a quart of the blue paint. Going away from the blue and white theme from the past on this one being this just might be the last one...maybe.The blue rug,and the other blue and black paints. i will keep them if they don't sell for the Dorsett just in case i do that one down the road again maybe.
          1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
          1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Tim, I'll keep you in touch with the Holiday market fish report, like this, SP:

Fishing has been a bit spotty over the past week following a five or six days of winds from the North last week. Personally I think that a continuous Northern wind makes things pretty tough in the islands, stirs things up and pushes around the bait I suppose. This seems to hold particularly true in Rosario Strait and this past weeks’ reports agree. From what I put together it’s been hit and miss from Point Lawrence and Sinclair south to Lopez Flats. The best reports have come from those fishing up in the islands themselves. Inside Lopez Pass and north to Frost Island and Humphrey Head has held better numbers and a few bigger, but wild fish. Inside it really sounds like cut baits or small anchovies in a helmet have been the best bet. We’ve also heard of a handful of fish out of Decatur Bay and better numbers from the southern end of Salmon Bank. If you still can’t decide on where to go I would seriously consider hitting the banks this weekend if the winds don’t come up. By Saturday we are into another ‘soaker’ set of tides and the banks seem to fish them quite well this time of year. My go to has to be Hein Bank, hit the west side and work your way south in 100-120ft of water. Cut-plugs or Kingfisher spoons on the carpet are the way to go. If Hein is too far don’t count out Eastern, Partridge or Salmon Banks; these all fish well on soft tides, especially for blackmouth.

Comment

John Nelson has his fishing boat that he fishes commercially. Just not sure where he has it right now.
              I find its much easier to get one from him.
              He fishes and I guess there is a bigger boat some place were they take there catch too that buys them on the water. Not sure what those guys are called. Pirates ?
              Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

no sunshine 'round these parts...this is what I woke up to this morning:

[ATTACH]15352[/ATTACH]
                Attached Files

Comment

I'm definitely looking forward to getting out on the water soon!

Comment

Hey I know how you guys feel. I have 2' of snow in my yard, and the last 4 nights at work ranged from -10 to -24 without the wind chill. I am past ready for spring.

Comment

Couple buddies and I went out this weekend for a guys weekend road trip. Plan was to go to Hood River, OR and pick up a sailboard kit but with 12" of snow in the forecast we decided it probably wasn't a great idea to take my low riding two-wheel-drive minivan down there... So we went to Leavenworth and Mt. Rainer instead. The below picture is what we woke up Sunday morning after it took two of us to get the slider doors to open (night time low was 9 degrees!).

I guess this wasn't really a boat trip but it was intended to be boat related, and it got us out of the house...
                      Attached Files
                      Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
                      1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

I guess I was getting spoiled. I have a new prop for the 404 that I want to test out. Trouble is, its soaking wet outside and rough seas. Hardly the best time to see if the new pitch is correct. No relief this weekend either.
                        John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
                        Past Affairs:
                        '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

Well, I have not been taking very good care of my boats....
                          Here is my Uniflite. Just no place inside for her and well, didn't get the tarps I wanted so here she sits.
                          [ATTACH]15360[/ATTACH]
                          Attached Files
                          Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Joe, Did the snow hurt your canvas ? The shelter helps a lot.
                            Attached Files
                            1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
                            1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

look at all those icicles! You guys definitely have it worse than us.

Comment

Working...
                              X