Proper chain length?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper chain length?

My anchor does not hold up so well when anchored in swift moving Columbia; I drift a lot!

I have a gigantic Danforth anchor and 150' of 3/8 anchor line. My chain is only about 2'. So, I suspect that my chain is not long/heavy enough.

What would be an adequate sized river chain for the 25' Skagit?

Thanks.
    Robert Augur

I run with 25 ft. of chain, on 150 ft. of 3/8...My Sabercraft is 19 ft....Contrary to folk lore, the Columbia runs very swift north of Kettle Falls.
    Attached Files

Comment

Here's a link to anchoring. There's some info at the bottom regarding chain length. I'm sure it's not exact, but at least a place to start.

http://www.boatus.com/boattech/anchorin.htm
      Steve Kiesel
      1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

My general rule for chain is 1 foot chain for one foot waterline length. I tend to use fairly large chain for the weight. That keeps the anchor on the bottom and the pull parallel to the bottom..

The Saratogan will likely have all chain on a windlass. 150' 1/4" high tensil. Most serious cruisers carry five anchors, figuring one will work in any type bottom.

Some of the more poplar anchors carried by cruisers include: CQR plow, Bruce, Davis Sea Hook, Danforth, Northhill, fisherman and a grappling hook for rock and coral Now days the are quite a few patent anchors, most pretty good. Don't think I would use a Fortress aluminum anchor. I've seen too many bent Fortress anchors on the bows of boats....

The biggest Danforth I've seen was 150 pounds!

McSKagit
        Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Anchoring in the Columbia

Originally posted by skagit 25, post: 2727
          My anchor does not hold up so well when anchored in swift moving Columbia; I drift a lot!

I have a gigantic Danforth anchor and 150' of 3/8 anchor line. My chain is only about 2'. So, I suspect that my chain is not long/heavy enough.

What would be an adequate sized river chain for the 25' Skagit?

Thanks.
          Just my 2 cents worth, but I'd think it was the type of anchor you're using (Danforth) rather than the length of chain. Myself and most of the others I know who fish the Columbia use a "rocking chair" type anchor which does a better job on rocky bottoms. The Danforth is primarily used for sandy or muddy bottoms, and won't bite well on a rocky bottom. I use a 34lb anchor with 6ft of chain on my 17' fishing boat, but that's a bit of overkill. Most of us use a buoy & puller system like the "E-Z Marine" setup shown here:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...91502727616337

I use about 150ft of anchor line (rode), and like I said, I never have problems with it coming loose until I want it to.

The Cap'n
          Attached Files
          "The beatings will continue until moral improves..."

Pat Drewery

Comment

Very informative video.

Those are some very nice looking anchor retrievers
            Robert Augur

Comment

Anchor lift buoy systems

Originally posted by skagit 25, post: 2830
              Very informative video.

Those are some very nice looking anchor retrievers
              I have an E-Z Marine setup like those in the video, and I wouldn't be without it! I looked at some of the cheaper ones (with plastic roller assy's), but I liked the aluminum pulley sheave better; looks like it'll last a lot longer.

Again, just my 2 cents worth.

...and the deckhands aren't bad looking either...

The Cap'n
              "The beatings will continue until moral improves..."

Pat Drewery

Comment

Good info guys, have avoided situations necessitating an anchor because I wasn't sure about recovery/proper use. Nothing worse than purposely making the idiot reel on youtube.

Looking forward to hitting the river!

Comment

Working...
                X