Sabrecraft 17 Impella?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sabrecraft 17 Impella?

I received an e-mail from a woman near Portland who just bought an old 17-foot Sabrecraft Impella runabout.

She's looking for photos or details on the model from anyone in the club who might have one--or photos of another 17' Sabrecraft from the late 1950's-early 1960's period.

This is the model with a four-panel, aluminum-framed windshield...flat panels of plexiglass wrapping around the sides. It has side trim like Chuck Bauer's 19' Sabrecraft Catalina express...the usual Sabrecraft trademark.

I e-mailed here the only photo I had of an Impella, shot a few years ago on the Snohomish River, but she'd really like to know more...

Thanks, in advance, to anyone who might be able to share photos, an old brochure copy, or what-have-you.

(Attached is the Sabrecraft 17' hardtop I photographed on the Snohomish River, fyi.)

- Marty
    Attached Files
    http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

I have photos of mine in my album here, and she's welcome to email me if she'd like more info on mine. Doesn't the flat panel aluminium windshield date hers from about '65 on? It seems to me that '64 (like mine) was the last year of the curved windshield, but I could be wrong.

I'd love to see any brochure or ad photos too, I haven't been able to find any myself.

Tim

Comment

Sabrecraft Photos

Tim -

I e-mailed her shots of your boat earlier, to see if hers looked like yours. She responded with photos of her boat, indicating it was the larger Impella model.

I've got a Sabrecraft two-sided flyer, which I'll repost when I get the scanner hooked up to my fairly new Mac.

- Marty
      http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

My boat is a 17' Impella.

Look forward to seeing the brochure!

Comment

I have an Impella 17 myself in Stanwood

Hello,

Excited to see another possible impella on here. Check mine out here. I am in the process of restoration.

I only need two parts...

1. Back corner bracket
          2. Pole holder (don't know if this was stock but it would be cool to get another)

[ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/73819932@N00/sets/72157626210057996/"]1961 Sabre Craft - a set on Flickr[/ame]

Comment

Sea & Pacific magazine 1959 Sabrecraft ad

Several 1959 issues of Sea and Pacific magazine had a two page color insert for Sabre Craft. Page on left includes fiberglass models. Right are wood models.

the dimensions in the table for the Impella 16:
            Length 16'0"
            Beam 6'7"
            Depth at bow 38"
            Depth aft 27"
            Transom width 5'3'
            Weight 780 lbs.

In a 1960 ad the refer to new models including a 17'. I would guess that the started calling the 16 a 17 in 1960.
            Attached Files
            Bruce H. Drake
            1956 Bell Boy Express 21'
            1957 Norseman 19' woodie
            1961 Glasspar Seafair Phaeton 17'
            1957 Lyman Runabout 13' woodie

Comment

Wow, the thread that came back from the dead ...

Van,

I have a '64 Impella, you can see photos in my albums in the photo gallery. Those pole holders aren't "stock", although they are vintage. I might be able to help you out with another one, I'd have to dig through the pile and see. I'm not far from you, I'm near the north end of Lake Goodwin.

Tim

Comment

Cool

Originally posted by BruceDrake, post: 16282
                Several 1959 issues of Sea and Pacific magazine had a two page color insert for Sabre Craft. Page on left includes fiberglass models. Right are wood models.

the dimensions in the table for the Impella 16:
                Length 16'0"
                Beam 6'7"
                Depth at bow 38"
                Depth aft 27"
                Transom width 5'3'
                Weight 780 lbs.

In a 1960 ad the refer to new models including a 17'. I would guess that the started calling the 16 a 17 in 1960.
                Cool,

It is so hard to find anything online about sabre craft boats. Thanks!

Comment

Pole Holder

Interesting. Sure if you have one you would want to sell....

I have the original seats but they are totally rotten and destroyed. The boat itself was used for a few years as a fishing boat in the bay down in Tacoma a few years back so it is seaworthy. I am just worried because it looks like the gelcoat is almost all worn away on the body. Also there is some cracking all around. Most of the top hardware is there except for the wood parts that slide it back. I could probably make something to fit those.

I am a person who loves to boat and fish so I may just start using the thing as I fix it up. I don't know anything about fiberglass or painting a boat. Would be nice to get it part way back to original.

I plan to get it out on Lake Goodwin soon.

Do you know other sabre craft owners? Any good online resource I am missing? I can't find anything.

Thanks!

Van

Comment

Sabre Craft

The 14 Explorer was the model my dad bought in 1959. My brother and I ran that boat all over southern Puget Sound. It's also the boat we took up the coast of Vancouver Island to Cape Scott in 1960. Good boats!

Thanks again Bruce for the 1959 Boat Show Issue of Sea and Pacific Motor Boat.
                    That issue is a great resource.

Tim
                    Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Originally posted by sabre, post: 16318
                      Interesting. Sure if you have one you would want to sell....

I have the original seats but they are totally rotten and destroyed. The boat itself was used for a few years as a fishing boat in the bay down in Tacoma a few years back so it is seaworthy. I am just worried because it looks like the gelcoat is almost all worn away on the body. Also there is some cracking all around. Most of the top hardware is there except for the wood parts that slide it back. I could probably make something to fit those.

I am a person who loves to boat and fish so I may just start using the thing as I fix it up. I don't know anything about fiberglass or painting a boat. Would be nice to get it part way back to original.

I plan to get it out on Lake Goodwin soon.

Do you know other sabre craft owners? Any good online resource I am missing? I can't find anything.

Thanks!

Van
                      Van,

I'll check in the next few days and see what I have.

I don't know of any Sabrecraft resources, there's not much out there.

Tim

Comment

bringin it back

Hey, bringing up a post from forever ago...I've got a 21' 71 Sabrecraft hardtop.

Here's a pic!
                        Attached Files

Comment

Hey all, I'm thinking about buying a '64 Sabre-Craft 20' Sunliner (pic attached). I'm new to fiberglassics so I really could use some help on what to look for when deciding whether to make the purchase or not.

I inspected the boat this weekend -- all electrical systems work, no major mechanical issues, reasonably straight from what I could tell. I haven't taken it for a sea trial yet but that would be next. Also thinking about having someone inspect it for me. It's powered by a Mercruiser 160 I/O.

Any pointers you can share?
                          Attached Files

Comment

2 more photos attached: 1 of the engine + an interior shot.

Seems like it has most of the original running gear except for the steering wheel...bummer!
                            Attached Files

Comment

cool boat

How much do they want for that sabre craft? does it run?

Comment

Working...
                              X