No announcement yet.

San Juan Islands Cruise ~ Photos ~

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was time for the campfire and some grub on Clark Island. The four split up into three teams to see who could build a campfire first. Here we see Lowell explaining to Greg the finer points in shortening firewood to fit within the fire ring. Lowell emphasized the importance of the correct length firewood.

With brats on the line, John was wasting no time in starting the campfire. John used gas to get it going (don't try this at home, kids) but was the winner in fast campfire building competition. The fire got going and the brats cooked. Lacking buns and paper plates, the brats were served on drift wood slabs. I was really hungry, but didn't eat my driftwood slab.

After the brats were consumed, it was time for some refreshment. Lowell broke out his bottle of champagne complete with long stemmed glass wear. I had already consumed my Kiltlifter, so John offered me a Miller High Life which I gladly accepted and enjoyed. This truly was the high life!

As far as I know, Lowell is still there sawing on that piece of drift wood.

[media=youtube]bG63OZLHqzA[/media]
    Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Here's the last video of the San Juan Islands cruise of June 21-22. I shot this just after arriving at Clark Island. It's a 360 degree pan of the anchorage. Doesn't seem to be much interest in the videos, so I'll leave them up for a week or so and then I'll take them down.

McSkagit
      [media=youtube]AXeJccyU6wg[/media]

Comment

Tim, I guess i got caught up in the moment looking at them and not thanking you ! I even show Sheila how the San Juan's CAN look on a great day being "we" have had two perfect storms in the past years when she came along. She told me she thinks she is a jinks...told no dear you are not...hummm. I think the funnest video is Lowell showing Greg how to make up firewood for the perfect fire as where John looks likes he just throws it on for a instant fire.
        1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
        1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Tim,
          I just found your pictures and they are great, I was looking for them in the event section before.
          They sure turned out nice you are a pro. When you go back and review them after the trip it's nice to have those memories refreshed. It was a wonderful trip and a lot of fun. It would be nice to leave them on the site for a long time. This winter when it is dark. dreary and soggy , I will go back and look at them again and again.
          Lowell
          1956 Enduracraft Monterey
          1976 Cal 2-27 Sailboat
          1986 Mariner XL Seakayak

Comment

Tim,
            I just found your pictures and they are great, I was looking for them in the event section before.
            They sure turned out nice you are a pro. When you go back and review them after the trip it's nice to have those memories refreshed. It was a wonderful trip and a lot of fun. It would be nice to leave them on the site for a long time. This winter when it is dark. dreary and soggy , I will go back and look at them again and again.
            Lowell
            1956 Enduracraft Monterey
            1976 Cal 2-27 Sailboat
            1986 Mariner XL Seakayak

Comment

Tim, I vote the videos stay up as long as the forum server can handle the data... I really enjoy seeing the pics and now videos are even better. One of these days I will cave and put the Chris in salt water and join all of you on these amazing San Juans cruises... Or I'll just have to call Jerry and buy Rasario...
              Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
              1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by Bflaherty, post: 28630, member: 40
                Tim, I vote the videos stay up as long as the forum server can handle the data... I really enjoy seeing the pics and now videos are even better. One of these days I will cave and put the Chris in salt water and join all of you on these amazing San Juans cruises... Or I'll just have to call Jerry and buy Rasario...
                Roger that! Will leave them up. I have more that I will post is a few days. Takes a while to upload them as I have a slow connection.

Probably not an issue for the club server as the videos are stored on You Tube and there is just a link from this website..... My two cents worth...

Thanks for the input.......

Tim

More still photos below....

Comment

Here are a few more pics from our Summer Solstice San Juans Cruise.

[ATTACH]16240[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]16241[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]16242[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]16243[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]16244[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]16245[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]16246[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]16247[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]16248[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]16249[/ATTACH]
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by McSkagit Tim Jones, post: 28634, member: 28
                    Here are a few more pics from our Summer Solstice San Juans Cruise.

Great pictures. Can anyone name that ferry ?
                    1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
                    1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

The ferry? It's a little fuzzy when I zoom in, but I think Elwha. The schooner must be Adventuress. I bet they weren't enjoying the flat water as much as everyone else.

Comment

Awesome pictures!!

Comment

Yes, I think it's the Elwha. The Elwha is unique in that it got refitted with SOLAS (Safety of Life At Sea) equipment. You can see the vital systems generator up between the stacks. That generator added so much weight up high on the boat that they had to ballast the keel with concrete. Elwha is a foot lower in the water than her sisterships. Too much ballast in my opinion.

Yes, it's the Adventures.

Originally posted by Stan D, post: 28636, member: 682
                          The ferry? It's a little fuzzy when I zoom in, but I think Elwha. The schooner must be Adventuress. I bet they weren't enjoying the flat water as much as everyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by McSkagit Tim Jones, post: 28641, member: 28
                            Yes, I think it's the Elwha. The Elwha is unique in that it got refitted with SOLAS (Safety of Life At Sea) equipment. You can see the vital systems generator up between the stacks. That generator added so much weight up high on the boat that they had to ballast the keel with concrete. Elwha is a foot lower in the water than her sisterships. Too much ballast in my opinion.

Yes, it's the Adventures.
                            Elwha also has big holes on the ends for SOLAS life rafts. I wasn't sure if I was seeing them or not. What cinched it for me was that Chuck seemed confident he knew which one it was and Elwha is the only super ferry that most people could distinguish from that distance. Then again, Chuck isn't most people when it comes to ferries.

Comment

Here's one more picture of the ferry. Looks like the Elwha.

[ATTACH]16271[/ATTACH]
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by McSkagit Tim Jones, post: 28661, member: 28
                                Here's one more picture of the ferry. Looks like the Elwha.

[ATTACH]16271[/ATTACH]
                                Yes, it's easy to see the openings for the life rafts that the other three don't have in this view.

Comment

Working...
                                X