1960's Sears Elgin 14 Runabout Restoration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1960's Sears Elgin 14 Runabout Restoration

I have a 14 foot Elgin runabout that I'm restoring. I can't find the year, because the plate seems to be missing. My 28HP McCullough motor says SEARS across it, but the boat has the remains of an Elgin logo on the side. It says SEARS on the dash. Any way to find the year?
    I most likely will sell the motor for parts, it is locked up at the prop, and a real mess otherwise, and I have little knowledge of boats, so I will try to find a suitable replacement on Craigslist or locally.
    I got the boat in very rough condition, at an estate auction, but I plan on restoring it enough to get out on the water.
    I have a long way to go, but hopefully it will work out in the end. The trailer needs bearings, wheels and tires, lights, paint, a new hitch, and a new winch.
    The boat needs a windshield, motor, steering wheel, seats redone, refinished paint, a drain plug, rewiring, and general TLC.
    Fiberglass looks good for the most part, except for a little rot on the top of a stringer, a small hole on the air pocket flotation, (which I plan on filling with foam), and a couple nicks and scratches.
    Maybe when that's all done I'll add a radio!

I'll add photos soon, but here's a photobucket link.
    http://s1368.photobucket.com/user/vo...bile%20Uploads

I found an ad for this 1962 Elgin. I think mine is a later model, but I'm not sure.
    Attached Files

Hi Dylan and welcome to the group.
    Unless I can see a better picture of your hull, I will have to say that they used several different manufactures. I also had a Elgin, also seen the Elgin motor (it was a McCullough) that was on it.
    I ended up with too many boats and this one, I lost track of in Sandy Oregon.
    The Elgin that I had was that little P14 Hull that was I think done by Seaswril? Can't spell it this early but if you go to www.fiberglassics.com and look in the boat section, you should be able to find more in formation on Elgin and the P14's.
    I know of one fellow that was in our club that took one of those all the way around Bainbridge Island up in the Puget Sound Washington. The water can be pretty rough on the smaller 14 foot boats but this one did Just fine. He sold it to another friend of ours that used it for a small working boat and did crabing up in the Neah Bay up on the tip of Washington.

So, that will be a very safe boat in any fresh water. Good find and good save !!
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Thanks for the info! I appreciate it!

Comment

Originally posted by Dylan Burden, post: 29219, member: 2447
        Thanks for the info! I appreciate it!
        I might have a windshield that will fit that too. I don't think it would make it to Kentucky is the problem...

Oh Yeah....
        I have the McCullough parts guys email address some place and he is back on your side of the USA.
        I will see if I can find it if you need it.
        Helmar Joe Johanesen
        1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
        1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
        Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
        2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
        http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Working...
        X