58 Glasspar Trident

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 58 Glasspar Trident

Finally found a runabout that I really like. Can't wait to see the Homelite on this. Interesting bench seat layout lengthwise behind the front seats.
    Glass windshield and a cool wood dash. Even has fins!
    Interesting coil spring trailer too.
    Attached Files

Kooool. I like the frameless windshield. I have the same trailer under the '57 BB express but not as nice looking as yours. Nice find.
    1958 Skagit 20 Offshore hardtop cruiser "Kanigo"

Comment

Bill Tritt would do my 13 year old Daughter's "eye roll" at that FINS comment! he hated them. you'll love that Glasspar hull design, great in any water. I've had 3 of them. ChuckB
      "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." K. Grahame "The Wind in the Willows"

Comment

Chuck
        Information is hard to find on these. If you have any pictures etc. I'm interested. Particularily any that show the seats or original lights. Thanks

Originally posted by ChuckB, post: 2929
        Bill Tritt would do my 13 year old Daughter's "eye roll" at that FINS comment! he hated them. you'll love that Glasspar hull design, great in any water. I've had 3 of them. ChuckB

Comment

Nice! I had one of those trailers under a '58 Del Mar, I don't know if there was something wrong with mine, but I only towed it once and thought it was going to throw the boat off. Bounced all over the place.

Saayyy ... what's that brightly colored, creatively decorated boat in the background of the first picture?

Comment

Tim
            One side of mine bounced on the way home. Shock is missing on that side. I suspect yours was missing of worn out. Brightly colored.......? LOL

Originally posted by Tim McCrain, post: 2931
            Nice! I had one of those trailers under a '58 Del Mar, I don't know if there was something wrong with mine, but I only towed it once and thought it was going to throw the boat off. Bounced all over the place.

Saayyy ... what's that brightly colored, creatively decorated boat in the background of the first picture?

Comment

Gee, me too!

Originally posted by sparrowhawk, post: 2927
              Glass windshield and a cool wood dash. Even has fins!
              I have one of those; it's in "kit" form right now.

The Cap'n
              Attached Files
              "The beatings will continue until moral improves..."

Pat Drewery

Comment

Pat
                I think the main challenge to restoring one of these is the windshield. Looking at mine I'd say due to the distortion near the top edge that the windshields were probably custom made for these. Then there are the aluminum brackets that support the windshield. It looks like the front seat backs were made to lift out so of course those are missing too. I can dublicate or replicate any metal parts but I have to see what they looked like first! LOL

Originally posted by Captain Jack, post: 2933
                I have one of those; it's in "kit" form right now.

The Cap'n

Comment

Originally posted by sparrowhawk, post: 2930
                  Chuck
                  Information is hard to find on these. If you have any pictures etc. I'm interested. Particularily any that show the seats or original lights. Thanks
                  Barry, here's a link to the Glasspar's Owner's website brochures. There is a shot of the inside of the 58 Trident. Not a lot of detail, but better than nothing.

http://www.classicglasspars.com//ind...id=5&Itemid=27
                  Steve Kiesel
                  1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

Steve
                    Thanks. That shows the tubing seat back supports and about how high they were. The boat used in the ad didn't appear to have any lighting on it. Barry

Originally posted by Steve_Kiesel, post: 2941
                    Barry, here's a link to the Glasspar's Owner's website brochures. There is a shot of the inside of the 58 Trident. Not a lot of detail, but better than nothing.

http://www.classicglasspars.com//ind...id=5&Itemid=27

Comment

Originally posted by sparrowhawk, post: 2932
                      Tim
                      One side of mine bounced on the way home. Shock is missing on that side. I suspect yours was missing of worn out. Brightly colored.......? LOL
                      Shocks? It was supposed to have shocks?

Comment

Windshield & trim parts

Originally posted by sparrowhawk, post: 2937
                        Pat
                        I think the main challenge to restoring one of these is the windshield. Looking at mine I'd say due to the distortion near the top edge that the windshields were probably custom made for these. Then there are the aluminum brackets that support the windshield. It looks like the front seat backs were made to lift out so of course those are missing too. I can dublicate or replicate any metal parts but I have to see what they looked like first! LOL
                        Guess it's a good thing I have the original windshield then

As for the metal parts, there's a bunch of trim parts lying in the bottom of the boat. I'd take a look this afternoon but it's an hour round trip to where I have it parked. I'll try to remember to take a look next time I'm out that way.

The Cap'n
                        "The beatings will continue until moral improves..."

Pat Drewery

Comment

sagging gunwale

Noticed the starboard gunwale beside the windshield sagging inward like most old runabouts. A little under dash investigation shows some great fiberglass work. LOL I was able to easily push the wood behind the dash up over an inch. The port side doesn't look much better but has not sagged yet.
                          The floor will need replacing this winter but a piece of plywood laid over it will sufice for now. Fortunately the curved transom seems solid.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                          X