No announcement yet.

Chuck Carey

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't really know what to say. Chuck is a big reason Judy and I are still in this weird hobby. We can't send enough love to Sheila to help soften such a blow, but we will do our best. The group has suffered a huge loss.
    1959 Skagit 20 Offshore inboard

Mike and Judy Kronick

Comment

I have known Chuck for as long as I have been with the club. The club and old fiberglass was important to him. He wanted us to get out and enjoy our boats on the water. One thing we can do is get our boats wet. I suggest we have a Chuck Carey cruise day next summer. It doesn't even have to be in one spot, but a day that we all try to get our boats wet. I really think that will make Chuck happy while he is looking down on us. This club was very important to Chuck so lets keep it going in his honor. Clint

Comment

I like that idea very much.
        John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
        Past Affairs:
        '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

I think we are all pretty much thinking along the same lines.
          Out of all the events (other than fellowshipping up in LaConnor) it seems like chuck liked the Around Bainbridge event as his one of his favorites. He was the coordinator of that event twice if I remember right.

The fact that Marty and I had been discussing a memorial event in Chucks name and thinking of adding a event for him....So, there is my two cents.
          Maybe make the Around Bainbridge Chuck Carey's event ??

Of course we can put together anything we like.

Marty also made the suggestion that we, if nothing else, get together for a walk on ferry ride as Chucks love for the Ferry's he would name his boats from all the time. We could just get together and talk about some of the many events shared with Chuck.

Open for idea's folks.

Myself, Chuck is burned into my memory forever and will always be with me boating, adding socks to my equipment as well as helping me keep my boat clean Hell, I am already missing his random phone calls just checking up on me and thanking me for keeping the forum going.
          Sounds like he touched everyone else's life's like mine.
          In my mind Around Bainbridge will always be Chucks.

So, what do you think folks ?
          Helmar Joe Johanesen
          1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
          1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
          Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
          2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
          http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Originally posted by strobee View Post
            I have known Chuck for as long as I have been with the club. The club and old fiberglass was important to him. He wanted us to get out and enjoy our boats on the water. One thing we can do is get our boats wet. I suggest we have a Chuck Carey cruise day next summer. It doesn't even have to be in one spot, but a day that we all try to get our boats wet. I really think that will make Chuck happy while he is looking down on us. This club was very important to Chuck so lets keep it going in his honor. Clint

Boy Clint, you pretty much nailed it. I totally agree. He was one that helped keep me going with all this forum stuff. Like it or not, we are family is what I am hearing. I sure feel that way too.

Shows that everyone cared for him as much as I did......Happy boating my friends
            Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Cruising 'Round Bainbridge together would be a fitting tribute to Chuck, since he spent his childhood on Bainbridge and always loved the event. Favorable tides for launching and retrieving are hard to come by on 2015 weekends--they're just all wrong on so many of the days you'd like to schedule an event--but Saturday, September 19 has perfect tides for a Carey Cruise 'Round Bainbridge.

I'd even restore my last classic-glass boat for such an event, to join in honoring our long-time, ever-enthusiastic buddy, Chuck.

The great thing about cruising around Bainbridge is that there are so many launch-ramp options…allowing folks to participate without paying to haul their boats on the ferries. The location is central to where members tend to live, and launch options range from Edmonds to Seattle (Shilshole or Alki), Bainbridge (Eagle Harbor), Kingston, or Brownsville. We could rendezvous at Blake Island, perhaps, and take it from there.

- Marty
              http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

I've been in the process of moving, so have been without internet access for about a week. Tuned in here last evening to hear of Chuck's passing. Quite a shocker! I last saw Chuck at the Club business meeting. He was in good spirits but in conversation Chuck expressed trepidation at his forthcoming bypass operation. First met Chuck at one of the Lake Whatcom rendezvous. He had his Davis Craft there. Can't recall the year, but at least ten years ago and maybe as much as fifteen? Time flys......

Chuck was so enthusiastic about the classic boats and the Club. People like Chuck are what keeps clubs together. He had the enthusiasm that is contagious. This club certainly won't be quite the same without Chuck Carey.

Like the idea of a Chuck Carey Memorial Cruise around Bainbridge. I too spent a lot of time on Bainbridge as a child with my aunt and uncle. Uncle Ed was a Washington State ferry captain, so I enjoyed Chuck's knowledge of the ferries and naming his boats after the ferries as well.

Expressing my sincere condolence to all the Careys.

R.I.P. Chuck...........

Tim
                Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

What a loss to the world in general. I don't recall if I had met Chuck before he advertised Rosario for sale but Becky and I went to look at her and the loving care Chuck had given her and it was love at first sight. First, of course, the boat but soon Chuck himself. He often called me just to chat and see how everything was going. I then started calling him about nearly everything that I didn't understand about boats and outboards and he was always there with the answers I needed.
                  Since I suffer from an incurable liver problem, I anticipated going some years before Chuck went and I told Becky when I was gone to call Chuck and ask him to help her sell Rosario or let him have it back at whatever price he offered. Now Rosario is gone, Chuck is gone and I'm looking forward to joining him in heaven. You can bet we'll be talking a lot about classic boats up there! Watching here for any announcement of a service and also of a club outing in his honor.
                  There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

I took a quick look at tides for this year. There are some favorable tides on weekends in July and August as well.

July 18. 6:23 AM 9.7 low with just a -.7 swing by 1 PM
                    July 19 7:09 AM 9.3 low with a -.1 swing by 1:40

August has a few as well:

August 1, 5:22 AM 10.9 H with a -2.1 by Noon.
                    August 2, 6:16 AM 10.8 H with -1.6 by 1PM
                    August 15, 5:34 AM 9.9H and a 0 swing a Noon
                    August 16, 6:15 AM and a .6 at 12:30

For an event at Bainbridge, most folks would probably want to launch in the morning anyway before making the trip. Not to mention missing the afternoon chop. I think most of our boats can handle a shallow launch as well considering their size and hull design.

Thoughts?
                    John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
                    Past Affairs:
                    '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

Heard of this very sad news on Wednesday while at work. I was shocked. I couldn’t believe it.

Hello NWCBC, and for some of you that don't know me, my name is Eduardo and I'm from California, and the Golden State Glassics community. I think Chuck was probably the most active boating person in GSG outside of California. He always shared with us his stories, pictures, and what he was doing boating wise.

My wife Mercedes and I first met Chuck in 2006 when he and Sheila came to the GSG Whiskeytown meet in Redding. What a pleasure meeting the “Chuck Carey” from the Northwest being that I was only into this boating hobby about a year. Ever since, we have continually kept in touch and communicated either by phone and mostly by email throughout the years. How I enjoyed talking with Chuck because of our passion for these old glass boats. He had more energy than most men half his age restoring boats left and right. I admired that about him. I liked how he would talk about the many years he was married to Sheila, his family, and his many boats that he had owned in the past.

In 2008 we had a pleasure of seeing him and Sheila again when a few of us spent several days in the Northwest and the San Juan Islands. We stopped by for a visit and we will never forget their hospitality and the time we spent with them. Being a Dorsett fan he happily showed us Chippewa, his beautifully restored Farallon, the incredible craftsmanship by Marty and Joe, and what a beautiful large cruiser she was. What a treat for us not only for that but for us to visit such super nice folks like Chuck and Sheila at their home.

I will miss the boating conversations, talking about the projects he and I are currently working on, and most of all just talking to him in general. The boating community has lost a good one for sure. Our prayers go out to Sheila and the entire Carey family. Rest in Peace my
                      friend.

And for Marty, John, and the rest of the NWCBC members, if you plan a boat gathering in honor of Mr. Chuck Carey, I'm sure some of us GSG members would consider attending, including my wife and me.

Eduardo, Mercedes, and the GSG community
                      Last edited by Eduardo Leon; 01-19-2015, 05:57 AM.

Comment

I spoke to Sheila last night and she was in as good of spirits that a person can be in considering. As usual Sheila was more concerned about how I was doing than herself. Such a wonderful lady. Sheila said that Chuck is to be cremated and at some point they "might" take some of his ashes and release them from one of the Ferry Boats. There is no certainty or timeframe for this event yet.

Here is an email I received from Chuck's son Ryan:

Hello All,

It’s been a busy week for Mom, brothers, and me, there’s so much to do. We wanted to give you an update.

My father will be cremated and we will be having a reception in the next few weeks. We’re determining the exact date in the next couple of days and will work to provide adequate time for those of you who wish to join us in celebrating his life. It will most likely be at the North Creek Presbyterian Church, just down the road from my parent’s house in Mill Creek.

A request: do you have any old photos of my Dad? Send ‘em in! We’d love to see them if you feel comfortable sharing them. Please include the photo’s date and location if you know it (or an approximation) and identify other people that may also be in the photo – beehive hair be damned!

Likewise with any other stories you have, share those, too. We’d love to hear about your time with our Dad in any form: when you were younger or more recently, it doesn’t matter, anything will do. We’re not sure exactly what we’ll do with them, but don’t be surprised if they show up at the reception in some form. If it would be easier or more helpful to call me to share a story or two, give me a call and I’ll write ‘em down. My phone number is below.

Thank you,

Ryan

Ryan Carey

ryancar@mindspring.com

425-503-9556

Comment

I will be in touch Ryan and have a few pictures for you ! Give my best to your mother and if you would post the time and location of the memorial - I'll splash a little acetone on my pants and would love to pay my last respects to your Father ! I already miss his calls telling me what he was doing and asking what I had going

Eduardo : Chuck was always bragging about bringing boats out of California and that time I went down and found my Catalina Dorsett in Napa valley Chuck posted that another boat was coming out of California coming to Washington leaving sometime today - BOY I felt like I had to watch out every mile and I thought Golden Glassics was going to have the border blocked when I got there. Chuck got the biggest kick out of that ! Nice Post Eduardo !!
                          Rick & Sarah

1959 Larson "Falls Flyer"

Comment

Originally posted by bham-rick View Post
                            I will be in touch Ryan and have a few pictures for you ! Give my best to your mother and if you would post the time and location of the memorial - I'll splash a little acetone on my pants and would love to pay my last respects to your Father ! I already miss his calls telling me what he was doing and asking what I had going

Eduardo : Chuck was always bragging about bringing boats out of California and that time I went down and found my Catalina Dorsett in Napa valley Chuck posted that another boat was coming out of California coming to Washington leaving sometime today - BOY I felt like I had to watch out every mile and I thought Golden Glassics was going to have the border blocked when I got there. Chuck got the biggest kick out of that ! Nice Post Eduardo !!
                            I have what I think was one of the last boats Chuck brought up out of California. Ended up being a little more work than he was wanting to tackle. So, I have it and its on my bucket list.
                            I never got the chance to ride on Ricks boat but did ride in the Farallon. I also seen how these hulls cut though the chop and decided that with my back, I would be able to last longer with a softer ride.
                            So, with that added to it was Chucks boat that he wanted to restore, I will do so.
                            Dorsett 001sm.jpg
                            Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

I only knew Chuck for just over a year but in that time he was not only a friend, he was like a dad to me in many ways. My dad and Chuck shared the same age, the same love for boats and unfortunately some of the same health issues. When Chuck first started reporting health problems to us here, I didn't know it at the time but my wife noticed I was behaving the same way with Chuck that I did with my dad when he was going through his battles in the hospital. I was nervous, anxious, cranky at times, worried etc... my wife would say "why don't you give Chuck a call.."

My family and I first met Chuck in person at the Lake Washington Shakedown Cruise last year. He walked right up to me and said "Hi, I'm Bob!" and from there we hit it off. We ate lunch together at the outing and immediately realized we had more in common than just boats. From there I spoke to Chuck off and on all year. He made it a point to save a spot for me at the LaConner show and talked me through how to get to where we needed to be... I then met up with him again at the Mason event and again, he made it a point to ensure I felt right at home since I didn't know a lot of the folks in the club yet. I probably talked to him the most when we changed up the forum. I'd say we talked nearly every day for a week! Back and forth we went, he was ready to call the forum quits! I assured him I'd get him set up and where he needed to be, a promise I was going to keep since he had always helped me along the way giving me advice.

The thing I'll miss about Chuck; he was always here on the forum and ready to say anything. Even if it was just a few words (rarely just a few words!) he posted something. He was active.

Thanks for everything Chuck!

Comment

Oh and I absolutely want to do the cruise 'round Bainbridge' whenever you guys want to. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help make this happen!

Comment

Working...
                                X