So the zanny crew finally found a new ride

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's finally home!!

So my father and I crawled through 4 hours of mind numbing traffic, got the trailer which was actually worse off than we had anticipated. Took it over to the race boat shop and proceeded to nearly kill each other while fighting the electrical gremlins that accompany any 33 year old rusted trailer... We wired the new lights in and discovered the trailer had lost all conductivity from the tongue to the fenders.. So after attaching jumper leads from frame rail to frame rail we got lights (after 4 hours) then went to got the boat which fired up on the first touch of the key and ran spectactularly around the island (in the dark with out lights :eek.. Then after another 4 hours in construction traffic I got the boat into my driveway around 2 am this morning...

AHHH I love boats!!!!!

I will hopefully get some pics of my actual boat tonight.. All the boat needs is good bath, tach cable serviced and reinstalled and then she is ready for the water!!!
    Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
    1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

Your New Glassic....

Brian -

Another great glassic-retrieval story...with the happy ending that the engine ran great after the long layoff, and you at least got the old trailer home okay...even if it took awhile.

Congrats--and everyone's waiting for more photos!

- Marty
      http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Long awaited photos

I finally had some free time, since getting the chris craft home, so I gave her a bath and started cleaning her up. It is amazing how dirty a boat can get after sitting on boat lift untouched for 2 years...

Anyone have any suggestions on how to remove painted ID numbers without damaging the hull paint underneath?? the previous owner painted black numbers on the red paint and of course they have faded and are only 2" tall not the required 3"...

Brian
        Attached Files
        Brian Flaherty

Comment

that is an incredibly good looking boat, love the red on red.. when I decided to step up, if it is not a wood boat, it would be something like that..

nice find, let us know how she runs on the lake

Comment

replacing numbers

Quick and dirty method would be to paint over existing numbers with a nice neat white rectangle and then affix black letters and numbers over that.
            Lovely La Rue and the Kingston Kid

Rhapsody - 2001 Classic Craft Gentleman's Racer (FOR SALE)
            Lil' Red - 1957 Bell Boy Express 18 ft Cruiser (someday!)

Comment

Is the red hull paint or gelcoat? If it is gelcoat, a light pass of the heat gun should take it right off. Depending on how long it has been painted, you will probably see a ghost of the numbers. Lots of polish work, maybe even a wet sand, may remove any residue and make it really shine.

That really is a great looking boat. Good thing you found it first
              BRIAN FRANCHINI
              LAKE TAPPS, WA.

Comment

Originally posted by FINS, post: 4119
                Is the red hull paint or gelcoat? If it is gelcoat, a light pass of the heat gun should take it right off. Depending on how long it has been painted, you will probably see a ghost of the numbers. Lots of polish work, maybe even a wet sand, may remove any residue and make it really shine.

That really is a great looking boat. Good thing you found it first
                Funny you say "good I found it first", as soon as I saw the listing on craigslist I figured you would have sniped it by the time I even called on it...

I was able to get the painted numbers off using some mild solvent and serious elbow greese, and after a couple passes with the power buffer the gelcoat is actually shinning up quite nicely. Worked on it all weekend, and the closer I look the more I find needs attention. I installed a complete new ignition system (electronic) straightent the rudder and repacked the seals. Had to rebuild the water pump (worked ok in the water when you were moving but at low speed she would get rather hot... But what can one expect from a 40 year old boat that hasn't been used in the past 2 years...
                Brian Flaherty

Comment

Working...
                X