Sea trials...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sea trials...

Well after a week or so of wondering what my new toy would be like on the water, yesterday was the day..I had to pull the motor to replace a freeze plug behind the flywheel and while the engine compartment was empty I stripped her out, and simplified things and added some important things..

I replaced all electrical components, added dual battery setup, and tried my hand at splatter painting. Now, the fuel pump looked brand new ( we'll get to that later)..So everything nice and tidy, hose test in the shop proved all systems go...so off to the lake..

Now I have not owned a inboard before, and I must say I rather like it, the 4 banger is much quieter, and is able to cruise at low RPM's very easily with out over heating or loading up..compared to my outboard..So after a while of running I noticed a little stutter above 3,000 RPM, then 2,000, then 1,000,
    Well , I think ya see when were going here...

So I figured I better crack open a cold one, and think about it for a moment..
    After 3 cold ones I flipped open the hood, and found no fuel at the carb.
    So I changed out the filter,,nope...thought about a stuck float, but checked the supply line while cranking her over...nope, no life giving fuel.
    No one around, no one in sight...me, my dog and a paddle. The 3 cold ones,
    helped kill the pain of trying to paddle my new behemoth against the breeze..

After a couple hours of drifting, around a bend I spot a fisherman, that thought at first I was trying to scare him off by waving my paddle in the air..
    His curiosity got the better of him, and he circled around my position a couple laps, before getting close enough for voice communication...

So I was saved, my dog saved..I am heading to Napa this morning for a NEW fuel pump..But all in all, I do like my new boat, she is a cruiser, much different than my same size Sabercraft...
    Attached Files

Hey Tim, I did notice a kicker mount on that transom....

Well at least you got a tow and relaxed with a few beverages!

Todd

Comment

Originally posted by Dorsett, post: 4173
      Hey Tim, I did notice a kicker mount on that transom....

Well at least you got a tow and relaxed with a few beverages!

Todd
      Yep, I have the mount,,nope on a kicker,,makes a good reason to pick up one

Comment

Dorsett inboard-outboard

Tim -

Once you get the bugs worked out, that's going to be a GREAT boat. I love the way they ride and handle rough water...and the inboard-outboard will be a nice, quiet companion. Great score...

- Marty
        http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Thanks guys..The more I mess around with this boat, the more I like it..
          I think I have found the boat to keep..

Comment

Originally posted by Marty Loken (Norseboater), post: 4198
            Tim -

Once you get the bugs worked out, that's going to be a GREAT boat. I love the way they ride and handle rough water...and the inboard-outboard will be a nice, quiet companion. Great score...

- Marty

Thanks Marty, I'm trying to trade or con him out of it some how!

Todd

Comment

Dude.....
              Your going to SO like that IO once you get the minor bugs out of it.

They Also use way less fuel than the outboards.

Good score Tim...

Helmar the Terrible
              Helmar Joe Johanesen
              1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
              1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
              Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
              2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
              http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Dorsett Sea Trial

Tim,
                Nice Dorsett! Remember them as a kid. Really well designed hull! I rode in Jim Justs and was impressed with the performance and in the way in cornered. Fuel pump, minor glitch, but you'll have it running like a top in no time. Nice job! Congrats!

Tim McSkagit

P.S. Tell us more about splatter or is it spatter painting...........
                Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Originally posted by McSkagit Tim Jones, post: 4250
                  Tim,
                  Nice Dorsett! Remember them as a kid. Really well designed hull! I rode in Jim Justs and was impressed with the performance and in the way in cornered. Fuel pump, minor glitch, but you'll have it running like a top in no time. Nice job! Congrats!

Tim McSkagit

P.S. Tell us more about splatter or is it spatter painting...........
                  I guess it was splatter..grey background, sea foam green, tan and red splatter..hand done with a brush. Not for the weak at heart.

Comment

Working...
                  X