Mark Minkler, Bold Seafarer...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark Minkler, Bold Seafarer...

Yesterday we had quite a bit of wind in our local area, but Mark Minkler, who lives across the Strait of Juan de Fuca and had purchased a 1958 17' Skagit from us, said he was coming by boat to tow the Skagit back to Lopez. With heavy gusts in the local Marrowstone Island-Port Townsend area, I assumed Mark would delay his crossing, but I got a call from Mark in the early afternoon, saying he'd reached Port Townsend and needed to refuel before continuing to Mystery Bay, where we had his new 17 Skagit in the water and ready to go.

Mark showed up at about 4 p.m., had a shop tour, grabbed something to eat at the nearby Nordland General Store, and hooked up a tow line between his 17' Skagit and the green 17' Skagit he'd purchased from us. Within 30 minutes he was on his way north again, making what had to be a slow, long tow across the Straits from Marrowstone Island to his home on Hunter Bay, Lopez Island.

I was relieved to get an e-mail from Mark this morning, saying he'd made it home as darkness fell, safe and sound.

Below is a photo taken at the boatshop float, showing Mark alongside his Skagit 17, powered by a 40hp Suzuki, with his new/old 17 Skagit in the background.

Nice guy, seasoned boater!

- Marty
    Attached Files
    http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White
Working...
X