Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Skagit boats have taken over my world...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skagit boats have taken over my world...

There are boats, then there are vintage boats. There are vintage boats, then there are cool vintage boats. In 2012 when I started getting serious about finding an older boat to play with, I didn't know much about the scene and the local history of boat builders in my own "back yard".
    Fast forward to more recent times, I've become more knowledgeable, albeit some knowledge I've seemed to drum up on my own, about local boating history. I've learned a lot from guys like Tim, Bruce, Chuck and Helmar and others about the boat building process as well as what is what regarding boat manufactures, models etc....

From the very beginning, Skagits had my eye. Not any particular model, just the company alone and the history behind them. I wish I had the opportunity as others in the club have had to sit down and talk with folks that were there at the factory back in the day. I love listening to those stories, even the repeats never get old as they only reinforce my knowledge about the company.

Anyway now here I sit with 4 Skagits. Yep, 4. I know about the whole NMB club, but it's more than just that. I don't buy things to park and hide them. I want to use them. Sure they may go on the slow back burner for a bit, but the reality is I want to use them and share them with others. We have a dock on the lake, why not fill it up with boats? I'm lucky enough to do that. I'm not bragging, nor am I rich, but I am very fortunate and also lucky.

Enough blabbing. Here's some pics...

You know about my Skagit 20's already. You may not know about my 14 Sportster and 16 Skimaster.

Not one of my boats initially cost more than $500. "Initially" lol...

Pardon the ramble, been up for 20 hours!

1959 Skagit 14 Sportster with a 1959 Evinrude Golden Jubilee and and 1959 Holsclaw trailer. completely original and sea worthy. 1958 Skagit 16 Skimaster. currently sporting a Johnson 65 with power trim. Not on an original trailer. Not a runner yet but will try for this summer. I did find an early Holsclaw trailer for her. Here's a shot of the 14, 16 and one of the 20s.

See, I got that wrong too. I thought it meant No More Boats but confused it with Need More Boats
    Funny thing about the Skagits...They were built better than most other boats in the day and they used to say, Ok, the Fiberglass boats are Way more heavy than the Aluminum boats.
    Not so any longer with these new aluminum boats that they keep cranking out....
    I myself with still with the Fiberglass 50's as they show Class as in Classic Glass.
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Everyone keeps asking why im going the route i am when i could have just bought something. Well there is something to be said about pride of rebuilding something and bringing it back to life. Not only that but like you said, there is little to no art on an aluminum boat. Its pretty cool how our boats have so many
      Gabe Williamson
      Soldotna, Alaska

Work - 2001 Bollinger Mini OSV 150' 2 Cat 3516c hd
      Side job - 1978 Bruno Stilman 35' Rebuilt in 1993 (38') Ford Lehman SP135

Play/projects - and works in progress between Dad and I
      1958 Skagit 20' Express - projected Mercruiser MCM170 or 4stroke 115 outboard
      1964 Reinell 18' - 85hp Mercury Almost ready for seatrial
      197? Glassply 24' - Ford V8 I/O

Comment

hey Gabe can you see the photos I posted in this thread?

Comment

Originally posted by Gwilliamson View Post
          Everyone keeps asking why im going the route i am when i could have just bought something. Well there is something to be said about pride of rebuilding something and bringing it back to life. Not only that but like you said, there is little to no art on an aluminum boat. Its pretty cool how our boats have so many
          One Mag did a write up on one of the boats we restored. It was not too hard to see why.
          They said, once a new boat (and have you looked at the cost of New boats) comes out of the showroom, it will depreciate a Bunch.
          The restored boat is a Classic and holds its value if not increases.
          The Restore boat is Safer than the new boats to boot.

Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Running the 14 (watch all videos in 1080p)

Comment

Cleaning the 16

Comment

I've had this one a few years now. Blasting the 20 soft top...do not recommend doing this...EVER! They claim it won't harm gelcoat and they're wrong! Tons of sanding to do now...

Last edited by Kelly; 05-16-2018, 03:40 AM.

Comment

Haven't made a video for the hardtop Skagit 20...yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly View Post
                    Haven't made a video for the hardtop Skagit 20...yet.
                    Boy, you guys are moving pretty fast...Where do you get all that energy
                    Good videos for sure !!!. Shows the Real Deal !

Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Time to combine afflictions ? It looks like the the old pathfinder bell housing will fit the 1.9 tdi too make an interesting blue 20 express inboard.

Comment

John that would be awesome!

Comment

Working...
                        X