Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seafair experiance

Hey All,
    Had a good buddy offer me a gig doing deckhand duties aboard one of 4 Vessel Assist boats during the Seafair mayhem on Lake Washington.
    Seen some amazing old + new boats,oblivious Boat operators and many many sunburnt people over the 3 days we ran the 26` Shamrock,"Mrs. K".
    Glad we didn`t see anybody I know behaving badly or needing our assistance.
    The Service proved to be more than worth it for some deals.
    One "Jumpstart rescue" turned into an all-day towing of a 26` Chapperal
    AND their homemade dock.....from the Logboom to Kenmore,via NEWPORT.
    They had the Capts. Gold membership and the 1150.00 tow was a 50.00 cost to the boatowner.
    They spent less than $50.00 for the Freshwater only deal and made out pretty good.
    I think the Salt and Fresh water package with unlimited tows costs you $150.00 total.
    Realize if you call during the race it could take hours for a boat to get near you ,and find you among the 50,000 boats and 200,000 people.
    Cunfused seas were the worst of it,towing a boat while huge cruisers and Go-fast Cig boats passing on both sides at very high speeds.
    We saw another cruiser towing FOUR jetskiis thru the Montlake Cut,wit h2 underwater!The 36`sailboat sitting in the middle of the cut with 4 boats passing on BOTH sides while the boats behind didn`t see what was up.....almost a serious pile-up.
    We watched another huge 150` yacht almost motor over a SeaKayak but they pulled off step as they got a few hundred feet away.
    The BUI dock for impounded boats is something you never want to use.A solid Steel blob is anchored in 30` of water just off the Drunk Boater processing center.They cuff you and tie your boat up to it WITH NO FENDERS in most cases.
    Then you get to buy your boat back when you get out of jail.
    Some showed up the next day with cases of beer they put in their boats as they went back out to do it all over again.
    Amazing stuff,still don`t know who won the Boat race......but learned a bunch of new stuff.
    Time to mt my Tow bit on the SAFE boat,tired of putting out fenders!
    TimM
    unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
    15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
    SeaRay 175BR
    Hi-Laker lapline
    14` Trailorboat

Wow!! We were gonna do the log boom but opted out since it would have costs us nearly $400 to tie our little ski boat up. I have always been in the pits working all weekend but this year the race boat is broken for the season so we finally went to Baker lake and it was obviously a great decision..
    Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
    1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

I finally sold my Trojan F32 two weeks ago, but Seafair was one of the things that I always wanted to do with it. It sounds like a lot of fun, but the "crazy" factor was enough to keep me away the past few years.
      BRIAN FRANCHINI
      LAKE TAPPS, WA.

Comment

Tim:
        You'll have to help me design a stowable tow bit for the Sabrecraft as it seems I am in the tow business now...
        ChuckB
        "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." K. Grahame "The Wind in the Willows"

Comment

I went once in 1957 on my uncle's 32' cruiser.

My cousins and I (five of us) would dive off the bow, swim around the boat, climb up the swim step, run through the cabin dripping wet, climb up through the hatch, dive off the bow, swim around the boat,.........

Our parents must have been well oiled to put up with us.
          Lovely La Rue and the Kingston Kid

Rhapsody - 2001 Classic Craft Gentleman's Racer (FOR SALE)
          Lil' Red - 1957 Bell Boy Express 18 ft Cruiser (someday!)

Comment

Working...
          X