Lifting a boat in slip?????

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lifting a boat in slip?????

Trying to figure out a way to lift boat stern out of water enough to change a prop without paying to use a boat lift.

Boat is probably 4500 lbs total, IB.

I am thinking that maybe a Sevylor RIB with 650 lb capacity placed/tied underneath stern and inflated may do it. Sort of a cheapo air dock system.

Any suggestions?
    Robert Augur

Where are you located? I have a couple of friends that are certified divers and would gladly dive down and replace a prop (cheap!!!) rather than risk injury to yourself or the boat trying to lift it off the water...:eek:

In my experience, you'll need more space under the boat than your going to be able to achieve by using an inflatable dinghy. Plus you need to have enough room (or air in your lungs) to use a prop puller...
    Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
    1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

I am in Portland.

After I wrote that post I had thought about a diver.

Not sure what a diver would cost; boat lift would be $150.
      Robert Augur

Comment

Cheap lifting

My buddy Ed Ehlers ,who runs the big crane at Northlake shipyard in Seattle uses old out-dated liferafts as an elevator in his old boats.He puts them at the base of a shaft and puts plywood or pallets he uses as a platform then let`s them rip.
        Lifting it high enough and keeping a floating boat balanced would be hard.

A few trashcans filled with water forward can also lift a stern but not likely far enough.

The experienced diver is always a safer way,but could be $100.00+ for sure.Getting one while he`s at the Marina is always a good way to save.Once suited up,they`re pretty much ready to serve all who line up.
        Better to make sure it comes off so it is worth it,especially if moored.
        TimM
        unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
        15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
        SeaRay 175BR
        Hi-Laker lapline
        14` Trailorboat

Comment

Working...
        X