Skagit 17 Express

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skagit 17 Express

Will be aquiring a neglected 57 Skagit 17 Express with Bearcat 55hp this week. The boat needs alot of work although a floor and transom replacement and MUCH sanding would at least make it usable depending on what is under those 3 layers of bad paint. All the wood will eventually need to be replaced. The windshield is cracked and may be hard to find a replacement (any info. on this would be appreciated) and the cabin hatch has a hole in the center. My son & I are capable of doing most (maybe all) of this with some help from the good people of this club. The Bearcat is a different story. Don't know much about outboards . Not startable as-is but just needs some minor parts to get it to that point. It turns free and has compression, shifts okay to. Controls work good. There is some corrosion on the carbs and a little rust on the flywheel and other spots. Any advise on what to check before trying to start it and any other issues to look for in a neglected motor? It last ran 2 years ago but has been out in the weather since then. Will have pics when I get it home later this week! BTW, club app. and dues are on the way .

Thanks and have a great day! Mark

Skagit 17, Bearcat

Mark -

Welcome aboard; you'll enjoy the Skagit 17 once it's in the water.

You'll want to consult with member Bill Roberts about the Bearcat (he may respond right here to your post), since he can supply parts needed for the engine.

Since finding original windshield glass for the Skagit can be difficult, you may end up needing to go with plexiglass replacement panels. If the broken original glass is still in the frame, and if it can be removed more-or-less intact, you can use it as a pattern to cut new plexiglass, probably about 3/16" thick.

- Marty
    http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Thanks Marty. Been on the site for a while now but have not been active. My Bowman project got put on hold due to family health issues but is moving again now and hopefully will be done this fall. Then we can start on the Skagit and I expect it will take a couple of years to complete at my usual pace. I would like to get it to usable condition by next fall and then do the detail work as time allows. Love the lines of this boat and looking forward to bringing it back.

Talked to Bill Roberts briefly on the phone and will again when I find out more about what I need.

Also have a windshield that comes with the boat that the owner said "might" fit. If it does I will try to track down what it came from if anyone is interested.

Later------ Mark

Comment

Working...
      X