trailer tires

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trailer tires

My 1962 Dorsett runabout sits on the original Dorsett trailer. Tire size is 480 x 8 and they need replaced right now. They are rated for 590 lbs. each or 1180 total. The boat weighs 620, the motor about 150, the trailer is unknown but 300 is a good guess. That adds up to 1070, which is crowding the rating a bit. I'm thinking of upgrading to the larger 570 x 8 wheels and tires, which would be rated about 1500 lbs total. However, I'm not sure the larger wheels would fit in the fender wells. I have about 3 1/2 inches between the tread and the inside of the fender with the 480 x 8 wheels now on the trailer. The larger wheels would fit, but I'm concerned about clearance when the trailer bounces on the road. Anyone ever had a problem with this?

Those 480 x 8 tires just seem kind of puny to support a load like this. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Talk to Les Schwab. They can give you dimentions.
    1959 Skagit 20 Offshore inboard

Mike and Judy Kronick

Comment

Charles -

My guess is that making the change won't present a clearance issue.

- Marty
      http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Charles, I would do what Mike said about talking to Les Schwab. If you are not satisfied with their answer ,i would stay with the size you have now. Someone must have known what they were doing. Best,Chuck
        1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
        1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Customer Service

Les Schwab is all about customer service, I would tow the boat and trailer down there and tell them you want the biggest tires that will fit on the trailer and have them look at the bearings while they were at it . Do you have Bearing buddies ??
          Rick & Sarah

1959 Larson "Falls Flyer"

Comment

Working...
          X