Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

blue,blue,green, and somthin really hard!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blue,blue,green, and somthin really hard!

yeah thats what ive found getting down to original red gel, several colors and and a yellow what a presume an epoxy primer of some sort because my sander stalled at it and strippers were just scarred of it, in the end 60 grit sandpaper powere thru revealing the original red paint. this is the skagit chinnook we purchased from marty with the inboard, the top is all stripped , hull is next , while repairs are being dont to the top , how many holes can you really put in the topside anyhow? more posts as work is completed...
    Attached Files

Is this the one with the little volvo IO on it and a Large prop ??

Getting her down to the good stuff now
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

yes it has the volvo i/0

yes it has the inboard, it isnt siezed, which means i will get it to run, and what ive learned so far is that it from the mid to late 70's and is fairly bulletproof, but im told major repairs are quite costly, not concerned about it right now, that a project for a cold winter afternoon when im warming myself by the warmth of fiberglass setting up. also if anyone needs any info on the upper windshield i have both the frame and the glass seperated and both are intact, if anyone needed measurments. this boat is a 55 chinook, and youve peaked my interest...what is this soda blasting and why have you kept it from me!!!
      Attached Files

Comment

and there is a thread somewhere in "Restoration" where I asked about it too a while back...lots of additional links there

I found you can get everything you need (including the blasting medium) fairly reasonably at Harbor Freight in Lacey or at their online store...

...Ric
        '59 19' Glasspar Club Mariner (for sale)
        '63 17' OMC Deluxe (My current lust boat)
        '65 16' Evinrude Sweet 16 (for sale)

Comment

I know that boat. I just didn't have room for it or it would have been mine

The starter is stuck, remove the starter and lube it up and it might just turn again.
          That was running when it was parked so it can't me much wrong with it.
          Those Volvos (that one has been Upgraded for the boat) are Bullet proof.
          Make it run and you will be surprised how much fuel it does Not use.
          Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Got a quote for soda blasting the bottom paint off the Skagit 17. Almost 900.00$ To much for me. Is this in line with others experience?[ATTACH]3700.vB[/ATTACH] (There are many layers built up over many years)

Mark Nelson
            Attached Files

Comment

No experience but an observation. After watching the soda blasting on the Scarab, I concluded your Skagit 17 probably wouldn't take an hour to blast. Soda is pretty inexpensive and air is still free if you have your own compressor. I think $1,000 is too much. But, then, I think everything is too much unless I'm selling. Then it's too little!
              There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Originally posted by Lootas1, post: 6330
                No experience but an observation. After watching the soda blasting on the Scarab, I concluded your Skagit 17 probably wouldn't take an hour to blast. Soda is pretty inexpensive and air is still free if you have your own compressor. I think $1,000 is too much. But, then, I think everything is too much unless I'm selling. Then it's too little!
                We think alike
                Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Good humor and good points Greg Also, ablative bottom paint is toxic stuff and there are dust control and waste disposal issues the guy had to deal with. He was mobil and had the 3 hour setup minimum and padded that a little to cover himself because it was a phone estimate. Definitly worth it if you can spend the money.

I'm at about the same point you are John-------sanding,scraping & stripping. Tough job but fun to see the improvement. Will post some progress pics soon. Yours is lookin' good!
                  Mark

Comment

funny thing about that.....

just canned the second sander... on the 3rd 40$ sander.. are more expensive sanders more durable? i still have the entire hull to do....

Comment

Originally posted by johns59skagit, post: 7125
                      just canned the second sander... on the 3rd 40$ sander.. are more expensive sanders more durable? i still have the entire hull to do....
                      Yes
                      We have a Porter Cable that is still working but the one that really takes a beating from all of us is the Festool. Major pricey for you do it your selfer.

Ryobi used to make a good one but I would be willing to bet that your going to get what you pay for in sanders.

I had a few of those Home Depot sanders and would do the same thing, run it into the ground and take it back broken.
                      I think most of that stuff is for weekend warriors, but, if they are dumb enough to keep replacing it for me, OK by me

I am still looking for the Festool Clone if I can find one.

I will be interested in what you end up with and how you like it.
                      Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Working...
                      X