Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell-Tale temperature?

Hi All:
    Hope everyone out there is enjoying the fall and hopefully you are enjoying the water as well. I was out on the BellBoy yesterday performing some sea trails since I had done some maintenance work on my Merc. I had my mechanic change out the water pump and impeller while I watched. Now the procedure is a lot less intimating! I decided to change the pump because it had been six years since I had done so and also because the tell tale (peeing stream) was quite warm after running the engine at wot for a while.
    Since the the new pump was installed, I am getting the same warm water results. I know everything is operational. I just wonder if those of you with stack 6's have noticed the stream being quite warm after high speed engine runs?
    Love to get some feedback on this!

Best,

Bob

Warm Pee

Bob -

My impression is that most outboards will pee warm water once they're thoroughly warmed up, including big Mercs, so while it was prudent to replace the impeller and water pump, the old pump was probably working the same as the new pump.

I'd say all is well in BellBoyLand.

Best,

Marty
    http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Telltale water

I`d say the pump is doing it`s thing and also that warm water means a cooling system is removing heat.
      Hot water would be a warning sign and cold water is a sign your T-stat isn`t working.......T-stats are as important as the impellor /Housing as the pump can`t do much if the block is not regulating the temp.
      Some remove T-stats after clogging in salt but rarely is that a good thing as a cool engine is not as efficient as a warm one......
      Also ,the older impellors will lose cooling at idle when the centrifigal force isn`t as great and "hooked" blades will stay hooked until throttled up.Water flow usually is always good at higher rpms but will waver at low idle on a tired pump.
      Enjoy.
      TimM
      unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
      15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
      SeaRay 175BR
      Hi-Laker lapline
      14` Trailorboat

Comment

A wise old outboarder once told me that the water the motor "pissed" should be warm to hot but not so hot as it would burn your hand. That seems to work for me.
        Jerry
        There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Working...
        X