Boat to Canada & Back?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boat to Canada & Back?

Looking to trailer a boat to Canada BC. for some work to be done by a private guy not a bizz. When work is done I will go fetch, is there going to be any BORDER problems coming or going, any questions the Border Patrol will ask that I should have answers for beforehand? Thanks ............

Don't let reality ruin your day!

Bill,
    I own the boat I am taking up and I will own the same boat retrieving, not buying or selling. Does that make a difference?

Comment

Straycat - I am from Canada and have a few antique / classic boats that I take across the border to have work done on them in the US, attend boat shows, etc.

It's important to have all your paperwork for the boat organized and with you when you arrive at the border. I am not sure, but they may want you to pay 5% GST (Goods and Services Tax) and / or 7% PST (Provincial Sales Tax in BC) on the work being done, so make sure you ask the guy at the Canadian border crossing what (if anything) in terms of paperwork will be required when you bring the boat back across the border. Always downplay the amount of work to be done on the boat, keep it simple.

There is also something that both the US and Canadian Customs offer called a "Green Card" for the boat, which can make the border crossing process more streamlined. This is kind of like a Passport for the boat. It might be worth a call to both the US and Canadian Customs offices to inquire about "Green Carding" the boat and what is required to have it done in advance of getting to the border.

If possible, try to use a smaller border crossing as they are usually less busy, faster and may not have as much bureaucracy to deal with.

Aah yes, the days of bouncing back and forth across the border are long gone.

Good Luck!

Duke

Comment

"Aah yes, the days of bouncing back and forth across the border are long gone."
        UNLESS IT'S THE AMERICAN / MEXICAN BORDER!
        Duke thanks for joining and for the great info, I will use it to the best of my ability!

Comment

Working...
        X