The Classics are Coming to California

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Classics are Coming to California

Those famous words from Butch Cassidy…”Who are these guys?”…have been asked of me a lot lately, only in this case it’s “Who is this guy” ?

One buyer purchased all three boats I just sold as well as the Seville that Richard in Canada had on Ebay. He’s Larry McKay and his wife Jody. These and many other prize boats now have a new home in California.

We first met when he bought the ’58 Herters I sold in August – and we met face to face in Green River Utah when Larry, Jody, Rodney from Winslow AZ, Kelly and Sandi and I all met to exchange boats and a Go Kart.

Larry and Jody are just like most everybody else you meet in this avocation - nicest people going. They have homes in Bakersfield CA and Mesa AZ. They are in the Property Management business and I believe also own apartment buildings.

I asked Larry why he was acquiring all the boats. He told be that he wants to build a personal collection of rare boats and possibly some for sale when restored. To that end, he’s opening a shop in Bakersfield – Vintage Boat Works – www.VintageBoatWorks.Com . I believe the site is still being developed. The shop will restore his boats and once established offer restoration services.

Like a lot of us he grew up boating. During all the backing and forthing of the transactions I got nosey and asked him about his history in boating – this is that he said…

I grew up helping my Uncle, every evening, build glass covered plywood ski boats in Central California and spent every weekend on the lakes skiing and testing them out. Jody and I are into Corvettes also. When we met in 2001 we each had two. She has one that takes the prize for the oldest & rarest. She has a 1964 hardtop with automatic, air, power windows, & power steering. Very few made back then with all the accessories. We have an amazing 67 ft. custom sailing ketch docked in Long Beach, CA that we plan on sailing off into the sunset on someday. I raced sailboats through the 90's, once, winning first in class in the Newport, Ca to Ensenada, Mexico race.”

The best part of all this is that he and Jody are genuinely great people who will be a terrific asset to us all !

So while selling my First Tier Collection was hard to do – they couldn’t have gone to a better place!

Peter
    Optimistic
    In Denver
    Attached Files

We look forward to hearing some updates from Larry and Jody with the newly expanding fleet!

Best of luck with your new venture Peter. Fill us in when the time comes. You would be suprised at the connections some of us "old boat guys" have that may come in handy.
    BRIAN FRANCHINI
    LAKE TAPPS, WA.

Comment

Thanks guys!
      I'm not going away - much to the chagrin of some I'm sure :~)
      And I will keep you posted on the new venture!

Peter
      Appreciative
      in Denver

Comment

Vintage Boatworks

Hi, I'm Larry McKay - Bakersfield, CA / Mesa, AZ. I see I have already been introduced, thanks Peter.
        Jody and I are very proud and feel extremely blessed to have been able to aquire several unique and rare examples of fiberglass boat history. We love to talk BOATS, and can be reached at vintageboatworks@msn.com
        We are off to Washington in a couple weeks to pick up the Reinell Jetabout we purchased from Marty. I believe it is being stored at Brian's.

Hope to get to meet some of you on this trip.

Larry

Comment

Vintage Boatworks

Hi.....My name is Alex Souza of Bakersfield, CA. And I restore boats at Vintage Boatworks and hope to get to know some of the members here on this forum. We should have some of are work out soon and I will post pictures from time to time to keep everyone up to date with Vintage Boatworks. Some of you have met Larry and Jody they are grate people to talk boats with and work for. And it works out for me to because I like restoring older things like Boats,Cars,Harleys,etc. And we have a lot of cool stuff to show off!! Take care and I will be back soon with some of my back ground with boat building and so on.........Alex

Comment

Welcome Alex, we'd like to see what you're working on!

Tim

Comment

I will try to get some pic on here soon!

Comment

Working...
              X