Max motor, occupants on '57 Skagit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Max motor, occupants on '57 Skagit

Just went in to switch insurance from '61 Larson to '57 Skagit and the agent insists I must have a plate on the boat that tells maximum size motor and number of occupants. I'm telling him they probably didn't do that 52 years ago. He thinks they did. Anyone know the answer and where I might look for the plate if they were putting them on back then?
    Jerry
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

They didn't do it 52 years ago. My 57 has no such sticker. I'm lucky, it has the serial number glassed into the hull, lots didn't even have that.

How old is your insurance agent?
    Lovely La Rue and the Kingston Kid

Rhapsody - 2001 Classic Craft Gentleman's Racer (FOR SALE)
    Lil' Red - 1957 Bell Boy Express 18 ft Cruiser (someday!)

Comment

Capacity plate

Google "Boating capacity plate" and the first listing is from BoatUS. Third paragraph states the capacity plate became a requirement on boats under 20' manufactured on or after November 1 1972.
      It's one of the MANY requirements contained in the Federal Boating Safety Act of 1971.

My first boat was a 1974 "21' " Bayliner. The actual center line length was 19'7". It didn't have a capacity plate until I asked about it. They gave me one probably just to get rid of me

You must have a YOUNG insurance agent. Or he's not allowed to "think outside the box".

Good Luck, Dave

Comment

Builder rules

Hey Jerry,
        All builders must post the CG rating with max hp,mx wt.,and max wt of persons motor and gear,"states that the hull conforms with all ABYC codes at the time of Manufacturor".
        I`ve seen rating stickers as old as 1966 or 67,but never older than that.
        We sold Jet powered boats at Wooldridge and had new boat owners told their Insurance Co. WOULDN`t insure a "Jet powered " boat,thinking it had a real turbine by GE of course.Outboards were easier to convince,but inboard Jet owners always got the "special treatment".
        This may be a time to just call after hours leaving your agent with the best numbers you can extrapolate from any brochures,even if they are just from a similar make or style.
        Their software probably won`t let them leave any blanks,just "Fletch It" as Chevy Chase did in the famous movie.
        If you really get stuck,let me know as I may be able to get a "generic" label with fair numbers and the official look you want from a local source......
        Or borrow some Metal stamps and stamp them into an Alum plate which can be riveted onto the boat......fuzz it up with scotchbrite and it `ll look like it`s the real deal.
        TimM
        unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
        15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
        SeaRay 175BR
        Hi-Laker lapline
        14` Trailorboat

Comment

Thanks guys for the good info. I'm sure armed with it I won't have any problem with my insurance agent. He's a youngster (maybe 65 or 70) so I'm guessing his company is just pushing him a bit as he had no problem insuring my '61 Larson without that plate or even an HIN number.
          Jerry

Comment

A youngster maybe 65 or 70 ? That's me. Jerry if it gets to the point going from worst to worster, get a plate like this one made up and like Tim said get a tool to punch the info or have someone to make it up. Chuck
            Attached Files
            1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
            1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Hey, that's cool Chuck ! Where would a person get one like that ?

Comment

You could go to a trophy shop and have them engrave an appropriately sized aluminum tag.

Peter
                in Denver

Comment

Dave, Like Peter said, a trophy shop would be a place to start. Chuck
                  1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
                  1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Max capacity

Check out the Washington State boaters hand book. Page 9 or parks.wa.gov Formula for vessels, no capacity plate, is. Number of people = vessel length (ft.) X vessel width (ft.) divided by 15. How about designing a stencil on your computor or copying the one posted for a stencil. One other thing, everyone has to weigh 150 lbs.. Andy

Comment

Am unable to persuade Becky to put on 25 pounds so she can go boating.

Comment

I can carry 7.2 people. That is 7 at 150lbs. plus a 30lber. = 1080 lbs. also don't forget the pfd's for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Lootas1, post: 7378
                          Am unable to persuade Becky to put on 25 pounds so she can go boating.
                          Hey, I did it so my bride wouldn't have to.

Comment

Working...
                          X