Our new "old" boat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our new "old" boat

First I would like to thank my Dad. Cheryl and I were in Spokane visiting my Dad on a Sunday morning. Surfing CL on his puter, I spotted this boat. I showed it to my Dad to see if he was interested (he has cought a mild case of this old boat disease!) He was. We were set to leave for home, so I asked him to go and buy it (it was cheap), and if he didn't want it, I would pay him back and take it. Well he decided to pass it on to me. He came over this week and brought it with him. The first time I saw it in person was in my back yard!
    We just love it! It is ALL aluminum! I'm asking for help from you all to date this thing and maybe help identify the possible plans it was built from (maybe wood boat plans?). The nearest thing I can find on the web is a Metal Maid. The boat was brought up from Utah by the grandson of the man who restored it. Apparently he bought it from a scrap yard! Enjoy the pics!
    Attached Files
    Gordon and Cheryl Davies

THAT is a thing of beauty. That's the best looking aluminum boat I've ever seen. I love the Art Deco look. Fantastic "find".

Comment

Well so far most everybody says it a Metal Maid. I sure looks like one from all the pictures I have seen.
      Boy what a great find. I love it.
      Mike aka pathfinderz1
      Red sails at night a sailors delight Red sails in the morn sailors be warned

Comment

Gordon, Great find! Check out the bigfinboats.com forum. They were talking about this boat a few days ago. Peter Crowl posted pictures of it and one of the members there has pictures of another Metal Maid (I think it is the one from Kelly Wood) hanging in his shop. I think that they gave some information about the dates there.

Good luck. BTW looks like it may need a motor transplant!

Here is the thread METAL MAID
        BRIAN FRANCHINI
        LAKE TAPPS, WA.

Comment

Very nice find!! Can't wait to see her on the water. She's real puurrttyy!!
          Enjoy

Comment

Here's a picture of Kelly's old Racing Metal Maid now owned by Bill Anderson
            Attached Files
            Lovely La Rue and the Kingston Kid

Rhapsody - 2001 Classic Craft Gentleman's Racer (FOR SALE)
            Lil' Red - 1957 Bell Boy Express 18 ft Cruiser (someday!)

Comment

I have to agree with Dave, I've never seen a metal boat that pretty. Nice Find!

Comment

Gordon and Cheryl...

Wow, as someone said that's maybe the best-looking aluminum boat ever designed! What a great find...

- Marty
                http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Wow. I didn't know aluminum could look so good.
                  '59 Clippercraft, 35 hp Evinrude

Comment

Nice Score. Boy, that sure looks good too
                    Helmar Joe Johanesen
                    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Working...
                    X