Thank You, Costco!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank You, Costco!

We've all seen posting before about Costco shelters, their relative merits and more often their faults. Many of the messages relate sad tales about shelters that blew away in the first windstorm, or otherwise failed on their owners.

Well, I'm here to tell you that the Costco shelter I erected two years ago outside our house, to protect Mo's then-new car from rain, saved the car from being totaled during last night's big windstorm on Marrowstone Island. Sometime in the middle of the night a 1,500-pound Madrona branch came crashing down right in line with Mo's car, landing in the middle of the Costco shelter. The thing's tubular frame was bent down sharply and the fabric was pierced in several places by Madrona branches...but the shelter apparently gave the heavy branch a soft landing and kept it at least several inches away from the car--much to our amazement and relief when we left the house this morning (!)

The attached photos tell the story. After hand-sawing a few of the lower branches away, we were able to back Mo's car out of the shelter...with half an inch to spare. Later, we chainsawed the rest of the Madrona into small pieces (nice firewood!), and disassembled what was left of the Costco shelter, which was totalled.

So, anyhow, we both have newfound appreciation for the nameless company in China that produces shelters for Costco. Thanks for saving our little car from certain destruction!

- Marty and Mo
    Attached Files
    http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Wow! Add that to the list of many uses for a Costco shelter. Money well spent Marty! Lucky it landed there instead of on your roof... :eek:
    Mark
    Silverdale, WA.
    1956 BellBoy Express 16

Comment

Marty, Glad everything was ok. Here's a site i just came across that tells you the winds and gusts in your area. Best,Chuck

http://windalert.com/en-us/Search/Vi...verett%2098012
      1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
      1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Wind Alert website

Chuck -

What a great website--thanks for the link, Chuck! It always seems like wind is the main thing we're wondering about when we think about going boating, and most of the weather-related websites treat wind as though it's not that important (except when trees are blowing down), so it's nice to have at least one site that's dedicated to monitoring wind speeds everywhere.

- Marty

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

costco

Marty
          It looks like it was a good thing it was not the van in the shelter or a high windshield boat. Hope that is last thing to fall from the sky for this winter.
          Bruce
          Bruce H. Drake
          1956 Bell Boy Express 21'
          1957 Norseman 19' woodie
          1961 Glasspar Seafair Phaeton 17'
          1957 Lyman Runabout 13' woodie

Comment

I know my Costco shelter seems strong, did not know it was that strong. glad to see only the shelter received damage. for less then most deductibles you can replace that shelter...

Comment

Marty and Mo,
              Glad to hear that you both are safe and the car was spared. Guess the boat gods figured they owed you one seeing as you have saved a great many boats from certain death.

Comment

Hi Ole.
                Wow is all I can say.
                That poor tree has been trying to get you guys for some time now.
                Not the first time one of the big branches came off but glad it didn't do damage to the house and car.

We got hit hard enough over here ( as you know I can look down at the End of Quilcene bay from our wind tunnel) that it flipped our chicken house over on its back and knocked down some trees. Lost two chickens in this storm.

4 costco tents still standing as they were held down with the fence "T" posts driven down into the ground about 4 feet.
                They do take a beating at times.
                Helmar Joe Johanesen
                1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Wow! You two certainly live exciting lives! We're so glad you are both okay and that neither of you were near the car at the time. We're amazed our ole' house is still standing with the heavy winds we've had lately. We'll say a prayer for fair weather (no winds!) and good boating for our New years cruise.
                  Kent & Diane
                  '58 Westerner

Comment

Marty.
                    Close one. If you can salvage the cover, I have a frame you can have.
                    1959 Skagit 20 Offshore inboard

Mike and Judy Kronick

Comment

Mike....

Many thanks for the offer, but (as you might expect) I've got a few other frames I can use that are over at the shop. The fabric top on this one was shot after being torn apart by the tree, but I've heard that Costco may sell the fabric as a separate item...so we'll be checking into that.

- Marty

Comment

Marty,

Save as many of the connection fittings as you can. 1 7/8" Galv conduit should work with them and you can either rebuild the old one or buy a new one and extend it. The conduit is heavier than the stuff Costco sells and should last longer anyway. I have a source for longer covers if you decide to expand to 30' or 40'.
                        Lovely La Rue and the Kingston Kid

Rhapsody - 2001 Classic Craft Gentleman's Racer (FOR SALE)
                        Lil' Red - 1957 Bell Boy Express 18 ft Cruiser (someday!)

Comment

Longer Shelters

Jack -

I saved every pipe and fitting that wasn't weakened from bending, so I was thinking of using the good parts to extend the length of another shelter.

Would love to hear more about your source for replacement fabrics, especially info on the 30-footer, which would be a nice size for many boats on trailers.

Thanks!

- Marty

Comment

Working...
                          X