Why Old Boats Are Better...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Old Boats Are Better...

"They Don't Build Them Like They Used To" is certainly true in the world of fiberglass boats, at least in many respects, according to this report from a marine surveyor in Florida, who wrote the attached after inspecting some modern "fiberglass" boats damaged in storms.

The report isn't new--it was written almost ten years ago--but we can only imagine that things have gotten worse since then.

Here's the report on today's "putty" boats:

http://www.yachtsurvey.com/Fiberglass_Boats.htm

(Just be glad you have a vintage fiberglass boat that was built to last--not to blow apart the first time it's hit hard. As the author says, can you imagine being aboard one of these modern boats far out at sea when it hits something and shatters?)

- Marty
    http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

WOW! Makes you wonder what damage those "new" boats sustain just from launching/loading or trailering down the road? You'd think companys would jump at the chance to insure the true fibergass boats like ours instead of those "putty" boats. I'll be sure to not even look at those new boats as I walk down the dock to my classic, for fear that they may crumble under my stare. Thanks for the eye-opener Marty.

Comment

This just falls on what I have been saying for my 4 years of involvement.
      My fiberglass experience goes back to working on corvettes but with these older classic boats, I had NO idea on how well the layup was on them.
      The heavy roving, extra glass taping, and how Thick things are...

Been saying this for four years now.
      You take one of these old classics, replace the wood, glass, foam them with the new closed cell foam, add fresh power and you have something that will not depreciate once it is taken off the showroom floor.
      These do nothing but Appreciate from the day you drag them out of the blackberries and bring them back to life.

I came from Oregon and the Columbia River were BIG rocks are just under the surface of water that can and do Poke holes up through floors. Most boats its, down they go.
      If you have a Closed Cell Foamed floor, that the foam sticks to Everything, now you have more than just flotation and a sound barrier, you would have to poke those rocks Up Through the floor before taking on any water.

The new epoxy paints, closed cell foam products, epoxy resin products, I feel safe in my boat out on the water now.

Geeze, this was almost a rant huh
      Helmar Joe Johanesen
      1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
      1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
      Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
      2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
      http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Cool article. One thing I picked up that I hadn't considered before is the full length strand on the old hull layup. Very reassuring. Once I replace my floor and foam up the bilge, the Dodger will be a super boat!
        John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
        Past Affairs:
        '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

Working...
        X