She still runs !

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• She still runs !

After mowing the lawn ( yes Yardman, i always like the lines the mower leaves on the grass. It's a Felix thing. ) for the last time this year, i push "California Girl" out of the garage and put some Sta Bil in the tank and then started her up with only two cranks of the motor. Last time she was out was Mason Lake. Maybe the weather will get better sometime this winter to take her out on a Sunday or whatever. All of you have a Nice Thanksgiving ! Chuck & Sheila
    Attached Files
    1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
    1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Another G-3 ,about to run....

Hey Chuck,
    You called me up right as I was rolling my G-3 top shell on a Rotisserie.
    I fashioned it up with a Hoist and pc of Alum Pipe stuck thru an existing hole in the dash center.I then C-clamped a board with another hole to the centerdeck and it was almost perfectly balanced once hoisted up slightly.
    Of course I mis-calculated the room needed to flip over so it took some careful lowering of the hull bottom to clear my garage Door opener......oops.
    The newly Epoxied top shell is not creaking or making any noise when crawled over ,so all that re-inforcing and Glass tabbing has paid off.
    Now to power it up......maybe a 55 hp Yamaha for starters,then an 85 hp V-4 to check weight balance.
    The goal is to work up to a 100-135 hp OMC , I`ll be labeling the "Mercbuster" if all goes well.
    Now working on the Splashwell and trim as I now have a 21`` transom but actually lowered the old well so the lower motor bolts don`t conflict with the bottom corner AND allowing for a steering cable to route thru an enlargened cable pulley hole I`ve abandoned.
    A nicer used Rideguide Rack/Wheel is now my source of steering,I couldn`t bring myself to mt the newer type helm on the dash.
    Maybe we can do our own "NW G-3 Rally" in our area ,like the G-3 guys do back in Maryland each year.Too far for me to go ,but.....
    Tim M
    Attached Files
    unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
    15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
    SeaRay 175BR
    Hi-Laker lapline
    14` Trailorboat

Comment

Tim, Jerry High told me on the phone today, he is thinking about getting a G-3 event together this coming summer. He know about 12 G-3 guys. I'am having a Burgee made up in Canada for the G-3 at this time. Chuck

Comment

Chuck, I know what you mean about lines in the grass. I'm still making a few but my thoughts have changed from spinning a mower blade to spinning an outboard prop! Cali girl is lucky to have a nice dry place to hang out till spring, but I like the sound of a spin this winter BRRRR...
        I think I may be coming down with a case of G3 envy. Maybe someday. - Ross
        Ross Henson

Comment

Ross, I wish for Christmas a nice shop like you have. Might have to hit the lawn one more time with all of the cones. Chuck

Comment

Tim,
            "Mercbuster"? That's the kind of motivation I need to get my g3 repowered. Funny thing is that mine was made into a long shaft transom, and I want to cut it down to a short! It's on my list this winter. Jerry e-mailed me as well, and if he can put something together I told him I'd do my best to make it. If we could combine it with a NWCBC lake event, even better!
            Maybe an event alongside an event? Just throwing some idea's out there.
            Gordon
            Attached Files
            Gordon and Cheryl Davies

Comment

G-3 ideas

Gordon + Chuck,
              Glad we got some juices flowing, and knowing others are thinking the same thing is pretty cool.
              These little hulls can probably get more use than our bigger ,thirstier cruisers.
              Maybe we could do a little Lake Wash. get-together with a lap around Mercer Island as a circut for seeing who has the least sense and the quickest time.
              Losers mow the other guys yard!
              Just "posing" down the Montlake Cut would make for some good photo ops.
              Gordon ,I`ll be sure to bring you a spare battery to borrow for your Merc!
              I figured a playful shot across the bow would motivate some of those on the "Dark Side".
              We`ll definately have to get the G-3 "Girls" together,though mine may become the Mr. Bee Haven along the same theme as my Seafair sedan that happens to be the same year.
              Seeing the Red hull has me thinking of going Red/White like the Donzi hulls use.Maybe after the Slough Run.....
              TimM
              unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
              15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
              SeaRay 175BR
              Hi-Laker lapline
              14` Trailorboat

Comment

Took the Jammie Dodger out on Friday. Other than a failing battery, she ran like a champ. Then again, I'm running an 86 JohnRude...
                John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
                Past Affairs:
                '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

Working...
                X