Art of boat?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Art of boat?

Anyone ever commission a painting of one of your boats? We are thinking of having one done of Rosario sitting at a dock in LaConner with the Rainbow Bridge in the background. I took a photo of it but it just wouldn't work on the wall. Anyway, we have an artist in mind (DaveNicholsArt.com) a Whatcom County artist. Have sent him an email. Wondering what such a thing costs. We are thinking we want a 12X16 oil painting. Suppose they cost what the artist is willing to accept and we are willing to pay. Anyway, would appreciate any info any of you have on who does this work well and what kind of prices they charge.
    Jerry
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Custom art ??

I'm guessing a custom painting would cost $200-$300. I cobbled together the attached picture in Photoshop. The picture of the boat is from the original 1959 brochure. Picture of rainbow bridge I took myself.

Tim
    Attached Files
    Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Jerry, How about a rock ? Cost about $60.00 . Sheila knows the lady. Chuck
      Attached Files
      1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
      1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Neat! Wasn't that rock part of the equipment that should have come with Rosario?

Comment

Good job! Oh to have talent with boats, engines and computers! I'm thinking $200-$300 isn't too much. Expect another $100 or so to have it matted and framed. Nice thing about pictures as they usually outlast boats. Memories! At my age, I really value good memories.

Comment

I'm a professional artist for past 12 years ....... I charge approx $3-5K for oil paintings and approx $1-1.5K for water colors of dimensions of approx 22x30

however I come with credentials, collecting clients, commission work and galleries that have & do show my work, so maybe you will find a burgeoning young artist that can suit your needs, but expect to pay more you have $50-75 bucks in materials

additionally the size you have chosen is not a nominal size and will cost you custom canvas stretching to that size, & the custom frame to accomodate that size will run a $150-$200....you have exceeded your budget in materials alone with this irregular size

let your artist choose the actual size to best accommodate you 11x14 16x20
            are the 2 close to your dimensions, however 11x14 will not get much detail in that size & the artist maybe more comfortable working a little larger
            I personally would want to work in 16x20 or 22x 28 to give me room for detail

Comment

Thanks. That is the kind of info I needed. There is nothing special about the dimensions. I picked them because the artist Dave Nichols was selling pictures in those dimensions. Haven't heard from him but I'm guessing the likelihood of having a painting of our boat commissioned is beyond our means. Never thought of paying more for a picture of our boat than we paid for the boat. Not quarreling with your price. Just realize that art costs more than I can afford.

Comment

Cruisin' Cards

Jerry, there is a guy that I've run into at the boat shows that makes custom line art of boats. Also business card sizes with the boat, name of the boat, owner and details. I thought maybe he had retired, but I saw his ad a year ago or so. Somehwere in my Saratogan file I have his brochure which I'll dig out and post the information here. Hope I can find it.

Tim
                Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

maybe I can help, another alternative thats affordable is to take the absolute best photo of your boat you can.
                  Im also a Digital AirBrush Artist & have a couple Large Format printers to print out art size prints (I publish my own artwork prints )

As to the photo composition.... not so much concern on in-focus, lighting or color but the composition of the photo.....no driveway photos, garbage cans in the background, or new jetskis siting beside an antique collectible classic boat

send me a quality digital photo and I will work the photo into a watercolor art print .....printed on 130lb wt French Rag Paper (highest quality watercolor paper) or "Artist Canvas", ready to have matted to 16x20 or 18x24 so you can choose an off the shelf nominal size affordable frame

$100 shipped ......you only pay me IF your in love with it, you will be impressed, if your photo is a quality composition....you know the story ....Crap in Crap out

Lootas1 shoot me an email I can send you to my website and some examples, if your interested

Comment

Thanks Michael. I don't have your email address so I sent you a private message asking for it. I'm afraid the photo that I had in mind isn't really good enough to manipulate and I have contacted a local artist whose paintings I admire. If we don't work something out (and I'm doubting that we will), I will go to LaConner next summer and attempt to get a photo that has some real potential.
                    Jerry

Comment

Working...
                    X