Boats are next!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boats are next!

Now I can get the "Queen of the Cove" back into the water. After 6 years of design, months of working on getting my permit "just right", refinancing my cabin, and 4 weekends of work, I finished my dock project this past weekend.

Hopefully, I can get my new fiberglass gas tank installed and get the 64' Johnson into the water next weekend. That is, as long as my sunburn heals!

Question on installation of permanent gas tanks, what should I ground the tank to?

Karl
    Attached Files
    17' Johnson Runabout (1964) Completed
    18' GlassCraft Imperial (1959) Done!
    19' Campion Bowrider (1999) Great family ski/tow boat
    25' Skagit (1960) Two of them. What am I thinking?
    14' Axtell Aquacraft (1950ish)
    14' Stilleto

Originally posted by Karl, post: 3177
    Now I can get the "Queen of the Cove" back into the water. After 6 years of design, months of working on getting my permit "just right", refinancing my cabin, and 4 weekends of work, I finished my dock project this past weekend.

Hopefully, I can get my new fiberglass gas tank installed and get the 64' Johnson into the water next weekend. That is, as long as my sunburn heals!

Question on installation of permanent gas tanks, what should I ground the tank to?

Karl
    Hi Karl.
    Good news on the getting close part
    Not sure about the Fiberglass tank part.. I am about to remove my Old fiberglass tanks from the 20 foot offshore as that new crap gas is making snot out of the glass resin. Going with the plastic tanks now.

For grounding, you just need to ground the Sending unit as far as I have seen. Most new tanks will even come with a note attached to them and a grounding tab on the sending unit neck, then just ground to negative ground you are using in the boat for everything else that needs a ground.

Anyone else ?
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the input on grounding my tank. You are correct, it isn't fiberglass. It is one of the tanks that are sold at West Marine or Boaters world. Unfortunately, I've lost my installation instructions.

Karl
      14' Stilleto

Comment

Originally posted by Karl, post: 3192
        Thanks for the input on grounding my tank. You are correct, it isn't fiberglass. It is one of the tanks that are sold at West Marine or Boaters world. Unfortunately, I've lost my installation instructions.

Karl
        About the only issue I have with that is I have had figure out what is fill fuel out and what is vent. Some times is not easy as they look kind of the same.
        Helmar Joe Johanesen
        1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
        1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
        Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
        2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
        http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

and i thought i was doing good with my 8x10 platform and 12ft ramp...

How did you build it (just curious since i just completed yesterday the 8x10 portion and it was a pain to get it into the water, or did you build it on the water.. )

Comment

Fuel Tank Installation

Not sure if you are talking about a permanently installed tank, but if so, think you may also need a ground wire (green) from the tank to the deck fill plate. This to absorb static elect. from the fill nozzle.
            McSkagit
            Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Building the dock

Ken:

I was lucky. I had an old dock that was 8' by 50' to use as a platform.

I broke the dock up into sections and built each one on the old dock. I then slipped them into the water off of the old dock. The neat part of the system that I used, was that most of the dock used a float that had a built-in bumper on the float. 2 by 6's were bolted into the floats and then decking was attached. This made it easy, because you can build the float right side up. Traditional floats have to be built upside down. The brand I used was Tech Star out of Canada. Lucky for me, the have a lumber store in Bel Fair that sells the product.

Pretty expensive (all docks are), but i would do it again.

Karl
              Attached Files
              14' Stilleto

Comment

Working...
              X